Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
You already have one of the major expense items done (4x4). I wouldn't hesitate going forward with a buildout unless you are unhappy with the van or want a different body (RB vs EB) or drivetrain.
^^^ that.

Build basic and use it from there. What I thought were high priority items quickly fell to bottom of list once we actually started using the rig. The basic layout I envisioned at first is similar, but the actual items within and their locations have changed considerably.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #12

-Investment
-Should I sell while the value is still strong? (and presumably buy a newer van)
-The build out will cost this much

I suggest these are all things to think about when buying a house in California, opening up a 401k, buying gold, deciding to go back to school. I personally don't think they apply here, this is why:

The 'market' for 4x4 SMB type vans is pretty hot right now, fueled by the Tiny House movement fad, the prepper Bug Out Vehicle fad, etc. Artificially high for mostly a toy, in my opinion, because there are lots of buyers... right now. That could easily change in 6-12 months, where your 'investment' tanks. Unlike a 1957 Ferrari, RV's generally don't gain in value like other commodities. I think SMB's are about topped out, but a guy can still buy low sell high, if the goal is to make a buck. Buy smart, and limit losses. Rarely does a guy do a build, and make money on the, ahem, 'investment'.

Sure, maybe you bought it 'right', and are thinking to flip or keep, but really you want to ask yourself "do I want to keep this thing long term and use it for all it's worth, dump another $30k into it and use the snot out of it, camp, see the world, etc" because that is important to me, $40k important. Having owed several racecars, collector cars, and RVs, the later is the only way to justify the cost in resources (your time and cash), in my mind. Build outs take so much effort you would believe, usually 2x - 4x more time and money than is estimated at the start of the project. If 'life happens' and you need to sell in a hurry, the market could be at a low, or high, which is way beyond your control.

I'll add that your van sounds like as good a candidate to build on, if you are going to keep it.

If you are looking at wealth building, I'd suggest other vehicles (the non-motorized kind) real estate, stocks, bonds, precious metals. The better way to look at this is 'limiting my losses', you know, like every other motorized thing that isn't a collector car.

"If I'm into it $40k, and sell it for $10k 10yrs from now, would I trade $30k for the cool adventures and be 'ok' with that?"

I sure wouldn't put resources into a van, unless adventures are a very high priority in your and your wife's lives (over other things), you like building vehicles, have a lot of time on your hands, and a fair amount of cash.

I'd suggest looking at it from a different angle like the one I suggest, will help you arrive at 'what is right for me' decision much easier.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #13

The "is it too old" question is definitely on my mind when I contemplate dropping $$$$$ into an RV conversion on my van. The van in question is a 1992 7.3 IDI with a bit over 200K miles. Pretty clean and pretty much no rust (rare for a PA van). And for what it is - an extended length, raised roof diesel conversion van - I got it for a really good price. For my plans, a 4x4 conversion is not really required, so I'm not concerned about that part.

About the only thing in my favor right now is I'm working some 360 miles from home, so I can't work on the van and can really do nothing by plan and dream.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #14

Don't construe this as a wealth building exercise, TomsBeast. As stated, we are definitely in a van for the long term. The question to us is; is it this van, or a new van. With the market being so hot, should we sell at the peak and start with a fresh slate. That is a part of the equation. Another part is that we can replace the drivetrain and interior several times over before we come close to the cost of a new van.

Our decision now is to keep, by the way. Thanks everyone for the input. We are on "prototype 3" as far as build outs go. We are really happy with this latest iteration. BUT... we are going to try another iteration because we can. We are going to add a pop top to what we have and do some slight reconfiguring down below. Biking is our game of choice. The pop top will give us the ability to bring the MTBs inside when we are in or near a town. Typically there is more money hanging off the back of the van then the van itself is worth. Itll be nice to get them inside. We had a friend get $15k in bikes nicked up in whistler this summer.... kind of ruined the rest of the trip for all of us.
theshwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #15

Just because. The door is being painted to match as I type.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180726_205540.jpg   IMG_20190628_142403.jpg  
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #16

Inside bike storage is essentially priority #1 for me. Hanging bikes on a rack off the back is simply a non-starter. I paid nearly as much for the frame and fork of my current enduro bike (and at insider prices) as I paid for the van in my avatar. That is one of the reasons I wanted a raised roof van - to have a garage under the bed. The rest of the build options get worked out from that baseline.

This is also one of the reasons why I lean towards a DIY build vs. buying one already built. So I can get exactly what I want. Not just with the layout, but also for the electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshwed View Post
Don't construe this as a wealth building exercise...
most long timers on this forum have conceded that owning one of these beasts is less 'investment', and more like 'money pit' . Whenever I see words like investment being thrown around, I have to chuckle. Sorry if what I wrote, above, sounded 'preachy', but sometimes a little dose of someone else perspective, is a real good thing, makes one think long and hard before embarking on a huge project, "will the juice be worth the squeeze?" so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshwed View Post
Our decision now is to keep, by the way. Thanks everyone for the input...

There are quite a few guys on here who have build their own, real craftsmen, free to give advice on what worked for them, and what didn't. A real solid resource.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #18

Not so much a monetary investment, but a quality of life investment.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #19

go for it...it's for you.......
I payed $70,000 in 2003 and have loved the past 16 years.....no modifications to the inside.
7.3 runs like never before at 268,000 miles.
Replaced the frig..........
Normal tires always BFG's
Gets 15 mpg in CA
My only advice about money is if you have to ask to much maybe it's not for you.
I will say I have sensual desires when I see one of the many new MB's 4X4 diesel's on the road next to me...but I'm a died in the wool Sportsmobile fan.
I can still climb most CO roads, rocks and all.........
Vans are a very personal thing...it speaks volumes about who you are.
Planning my next trip as we speak, probably UT fishing the streams and lakes as I pass them.
My sportsmobile was my retirement gift to myself.........placed order after visiting factory in Fresno CA I was going to build my own until I saw the real deal. Ordered in Feb 2003 and picked it up September 2003 ( got one of the last 7.3's) in Fresno and went right to Yosemite N P
16 years later to the day I just returned from Y N P......same van same natural high.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
There are quite a few guys on here who have build their own, real craftsmen, free to give advice on what worked for them, and what didn't. A real solid resource.
I plan to steal as much as I can from prior builds. I am much better with CAD than I am with a skill saw and I am sure not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Not so much a monetary investment, but a quality of life investment.
Amen!