Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Question How should I wall mount an articulating monitor arm on sheet metal?

I've purchased this ergotech 7flexhd mounting arm. (http://ergotechgroup.com/ergo_pdf/7FlexHD_09012015.pdf)

It is to hold a 17lb monitor up to 24 inches from van body right behind the right cabin doors (non sliding). This is a 2 layer sheet metal pillar between the windows, which I believe is more reinforced than the cargo version. Not sure how much torque that is at the fulcrum, but hopefully the van body can handle it with the right distribution.

Will add Van picture soon!

Hoping for some suggestions about how to mount in a way which is strong and won't warp the sheet metal over time...

Ideas so far:

1. Drill 2 sheet metal screws through part d (page 4) as wall mount configuration (page 3)... they would just come out over time.. bad idea

2. Same but with bolts (have to cut inner sheet metal to have access to get bolts in there)

3. Sheet metal screws + glue to first fasten wood (2x4) to sheet metal as mounting plate, then wood screws through part d into this wood mounting plate (part d just 2 screw holes, does this really hold well, or should i modify?)

I prefer 2, so I can keep monitor closer to flush with side of the van when in stow position, but 3 is okay too? Other ideas?

Pano
Van pillar

planitEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Pano

Van pillar
Old 03-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

I have that same setup. No warping for me, with a much heavier screen. But for driving, I placed it against the carpeted wall, sitting on a wooden ledge and strapped it face-inward with bungee. Worked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #4

I realized after getting the mount that even if it was secure on the wall, it's more ergonomic mounted closer to the middle. Allows me to use from either side of the walkthrough layout. I think I'll use your bungie technique. Good looking out!
Attached Thumbnails
PANO_20170313_185633.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #5

here is a pic of mine when I had it attached to the cabinets. Worked really really well... until I had something sitting on the shelf, and wanted to swing it out and work.
Sportsmobile Forum - Rockman's Album: Interior - Picture

It is on the other side now on the C post. AND I have upgraded to a USB3 monitor that requires no power.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Nice. Had a gechick monitor like that but accidentally broke it backpacking around Kauai. It was super lightweight so you could bring it in a coffeeshop and have an extra monitor to program if you wanted to. I guess some photographers use it to see how the pictures will look at large size.

Now I've got the 4k big boy and couldn't go back. Uses 50 watts at full brightness, 35 minimum. Figure it's not too bad since my laptop / oculus set up can get up to 175 watts playing grand theft auto VR ahaha
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #7

Garage
Look at rivnuts. They are made to bolt things to sheet metal. Drill an oversize hole, insert, and expand with special tool. Rock solid.