Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Glad to hear they are still working and there are no issues.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #12

My experience

First of all I want to express my thanks to Brian or figuring out how to install screens on the window frames. When I was doing mine for the second time I discovers a couple of tricks to make the installation process simpler.

The first time I installed a screen on the side door I did not leave enough slack to allow the window to open so had to redo it. This time I measured the distance the window popped out at the bottom, about 2 inches. Then I measured the height of the window frame, about 4 inches. Finely I made a jig that was 6-1/2 inches high to hold the screen up. This allowed me to get the right amount of extra screen at the bottom of the frame to allow the window to open. It also made the installation of the screen have a neat appearance.

I taped the screen at the top of the window frame first. Then moved to the bottom center using the jig to hold the screen up while I put a piece of tape in place. From there I moved the jig to the bottom right corner and taped that section of the screen. Then the jig was moved to the bottom left corner where more tape was applied. Finely the sides were taped.

Having twice dropped the window bolt and searching for the washers for a while I decided to tape the bolt to the outside of the glass during the install. The washer that is between the screen and the window is a bit tricky to get installed as there is not much room for my fingers.

As Brian noted you need to be careful when installing the nut on the bolt as it is easy to twist the screen when tightening it. To help prevent the screen from twisting I used one of the existing washers as a template and cut a paper washer out of an index card. The paper washer was installed between the nut and the screen. It helped to reduce the tendency of the screen to twist as the nut was tightened.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #13

Garage
This looks great! I will be doing this soon.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #14

What is the screen material everyone is using here?
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #15

Thanks Brian and Larrie. Pop-out project complete with screens.
Beejmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:50 PM   #16

@tedujam, I am unsure about op, But I was thinking on useing the .9 Noseeum bug netting found here, I have bought other stuff from them and figured if they have it, why not. But that said I think the Noseeum is thicker and capable to make a bag with, so I am talking to them about getting a sample set of the diffrent mesh/bugnets they have.
https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca.../fabrics/mesh/

Also just search Amazon bulk mesh or bulk bug net for lots of options.
kalabaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #17

I just got basic nylon screen from Home Depot I think. I haven’t done this in my new van yet so maybe I’ll upgrade to the finer mesh. But that’s harder to see out of, no?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:53 AM   #18

The Noseeum mesh has far less ventilation/airflow.

If you are in noseeum areas then you have to go w that to keep the tiny bugs out. The trade off is less airflow and visibility.