Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2023, 09:05 PM   #1

How to mount an awning on a sliding door SMB?

I see there are Z brackets available, if someone would clue me in to how to get them and how to install them that would be great, but even more so, do they work with sliding door model Econoline vans? Like others have done, I want to use something like an ARB or similar with the side walls to extend sheltered space not necessarily inside the van...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:25 PM   #2

Yes, they work on sliding door E Series.

You can order via our website
www.BlingMyRig.com click on the Toy Store tab to get to the awning brackets. Currently, next batch is expected mid January.

If you are wanting a Fiamma awning, I can help.

Thxs!
Old 11-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Yes, they work on sliding door E Series.

You can order via our website
www.BlingMyRig.com click on the Toy Store tab to get to the awning brackets. Currently, next batch is expected mid January.

If you are wanting a Fiamma awning, I can help.

Thxs!
Never heard of a Fiamma awning, I was figuring something like an ARB, but there are LOTS of brands I haven't heard of...

My priorities here are.

#1. It works with my sliding door van. Yes then proceed, no then keep looking.
#2. Awning should cover entire area where the side door opens to the back of the van, and be at least 8' out to the side.
#3. Awning should have an optional side attachment, or in a pinch be able to re-use my Ozark Trail instant canopy side walls which I am under no illusion is a legit option but if it is... They have a bunch of organizers that make camp easier...

Goal here is to park van, deploy awning, set up Joolca Ensuite with its awning, and sidewalls for van and Joolca awning. Thus providing weather protected, reasnably at least, space to go from inside the van to the outdoor kitchen (under Joolca awning) to the shower, and have a nice space to sit under rain / snow protection outside where I can have the fire pit close by for those cold winter nights...

Any recommendations would be welcome.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:18 AM   #4

The Fiamma F45S 10 ft is the awning countless numbers of E Series are running.

It projects out to a max of 8 ft and it covers 10 feet of the side of the van starting from about 10 inches forward of the slider/front passenger door seam. You can crank it out and in as far as you want up to 8 ft and it takes less than a minute to deploy / stow. The legs pivot up and stow in the case.

Fiamma makes a number of different very functional and integrated enclosure/ shade solutions. I do not know if the Ozark or other room systems will interface with the Fiamma. The Fiamma USA website has images and descriptions.

Re Rain and Snow -
Rain should not be an issue as the awning can be tilted at one corner and center raftered to have the rain run off.

Snow is a different issue since it will accumulate land at some point will be too heavy for the awning to support. Snow on the awning also makes stowing the awning more time consuming since the snow needs to be removed from the awning to allow to roll up properly to fit in the case.

Re: Joolca Ensuite - which model do you have, guessing the mounted version? If it is on the passenger side, it is occupying the rear 24" of the gutter length. And please remind me- is your rig RB or EB? An EB might work with the Mounted En-suite but the awning will be slid forward a bit more than 10 inches. On an RB there would need to be a different awning solution. fyi- most 8ft long awnings project out 6 ft and this includes Fiamma 8 ft version.

Let's see what works.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
The Fiamma F45S 10 ft is the awning countless numbers of E Series are running.

It projects out to a max of 8 ft and it covers 10 feet of the side of the van starting from about 10 inches forward of the slider/front passenger door seam. You can crank it out and in as far as you want up to 8 ft and it takes less than a minute to deploy / stow. The legs pivot up and stow in the case.
I get the issues with snow, I am looking to foul weather enclose a larger space without a lot of stooping... Hence the interest in an awning, but with shade / shelter walls.

Quote:
Re: Joolca Ensuite - which model do you have, guessing the mounted version? If it is on the passenger side, it is occupying the rear 24" of the gutter length. And please remind me- is your rig RB or EB? An EB might work with the Mounted En-suite but the awning will be slid forward a bit more than 10 inches. On an RB there would need to be a different awning solution. fyi- most 8ft long awnings project out 6 ft and this includes Fiamma 8 ft version.

Let's see what works.
The Ensuite I use is a Joolca Ensuite Double with the Ensutie Awning Kit. It is not tethered to the van in any way, shape, or form. I really wasn't interested in the mounted Ensuite, although I see the attraction. I have had my Ensuite longer than Joolca has offered the mounted, and I just don't see the mounted working the way I want it to work. Personal preferences. The Ensuite is 3.5ft x 7ft and the awning AFTER the ensuite body looks to be probably 7' wide to cover the ensuite and probably 6' deep. never measured it and not 100% certain of the specs. I know my camp kitchen fits somewhat snugly in there.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:51 PM   #6

Okay I am going to put this idea in my pocket as it were. I am going to TRY to use a tarp rig using suction cup anchors on the metal part of the van roof, and a set of Coleman Adjustable tent poles. If I can get this to work and it not be a hassle, then yay for me. If not look at the proper awning solution...
Old 11-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #7

Garage
There are many options that would fit your description. I carry 6 of these suction cups - very strong & versatile:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9JYWHVV...T1zcF9kZXRhaWw

Something along these lines might suit your needs better:
https://www.amazon.com/OCR-Suction-S...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

There is a thread buried here somewhere discussing suggestions from members which carry 'portable' awnings - otherwise just google...
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=portable+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

EDIT - Didn't find the Thread I was looking for, but these may provide some DIY ideas:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-up-28848.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-30609.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-29256.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ent-23810.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ning-1795.html

EDIT/EDIT - My curiosity motivated me to revisit the search function to find the Thread I was looking for (look at member CTB's post):
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-30295.html
Old 11-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #8

I already have suction cups. I got these...
Amazon suction cups.

The tarp is this one.
10x10 tarp.

The Coleman extending poles are long out of production...
Old 11-30-2023, 11:57 AM   #9

My 2 cents…. I’ve used numerous combinations of tarps, awnings, pop ups etc and found that because each took a great deal of effort to set up, I tended to forgo using them most of the time. When I did set them up, and then it got a bit windy and I had to stow it all again, it was just too much work. My last set up was an ARB awning that worked ok once it was deployed, but it was difficult to set up with just one person and it was way too easy to accidentally bend one of the legs which then made it impossible to retract and stow. I finally upgraded to a Fiamma that’s superior to any other solution I used. Now I’ll crank it out for just a quick lunch stop, or even when it’s a bit breezy because as the wind speed increases, I can stow it in a matter of seconds with no concerns about damage to the legs. Now I deploy it every time with little effort.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #10

Well, I am going to try the tarp rig anyway. I may end up doing a proper awning but don't want to drop $2K on something just to provide a little rain and sun shelter... I have pitched tarps off of vehicles for decades, although I must admit I never paid attention to the sizes, and always had a roof rack to attach to..., just lash off to the roof rack, push one pole up stake it out, push the other pole up, stake it out, make some height and tension adjustments and call it good. Never had a problem with anything up to mildly windy up to say 25mph gusts, anything higher than that and I break it down and stow it until the wind dies down.