Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

huge problems with the brakes...help!

so, my 2000 chevy quig pulls pretty hard to the left when I brake hard. took it into the shop and the guy can't figure out whats wrong... says the left caliper was getting most of the braking, the right had some and the rears had NONE!!! not good. changed the line, u-joint (i guess it was bad), and will change the caliper tomorrow... he said it might be the ABS. any ideas??? Im taking this van on a trip next week.

racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Re: huge problems with the brakes...help!

Sounds like you need a better mechanic. Are the rears drum brakes? Probably out of adjustment. The front could be any number of things, but I'd say crud in the line as a shot in the dark. What does your brake fluid look like? Are they bled properly?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #3

yes the rears are drums. he replaced the right line and he said the caliper was somewhat bad on that side so it will get replaced tomorrow. he called quigley to get info on parts but now thinks the ABS might be the problem. I have no idea if they are bled properly or what the fluid looks like.. Im going there in the morning.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

Just leaves me with more questions: would ABS throw a code? would a bad ABS sensor result in vibration (a la breaking traction with ABS)?

Also how long have you owned and driven the van, and when did this start?

I believe anything you do to one side you should do to the other also, but you've already got me out of my depth on brakes at this point so hopefully others will chime in with useful info.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #5

there are no codes but the ABS will engage on the left (or it feels that way) in the dry if I brake hard which is weird. Ive had the van for about a year but haven't put that many miles on it.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrx451
there are no codes but the ABS will engage on the left (or it feels that way) in the dry if I brake hard which is weird. Ive had the van for about a year but haven't put that many miles on it.
If you feel any "buzzing" in the brake pedal, you may be right about the ABS. Are the tires all the same size? Tire pressure balanced?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #7

well, they changed the right caliper, line and fixed a u-joint and it's just as bad as before... they aren't getting any fluid to the rear so they will check the ABS pump to see if there is fluid coming out for the rear lines. they are getting plenty of fluid through the front lines.

Is there a way to bypass all the abs stuff? obviously he wouldn't do it but it may be something I can do later.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

I think we've determined that it's the porportioning valve. they cracked the line that goes to the rear and there is zero fluid so we ordered another one... hopefully that is the problem. there's nothing left to change in the system.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrx451
I think we've determined that it's the porportioning valve. they cracked the line that goes to the rear and there is zero fluid so we ordered another one... hopefully that is the problem. there's nothing left to change in the system.
That could explain the lack of rear brakes. That would not explain the pulling to the left.

(For others reading this - The Ford vans, and newest GM vans, don't have a proportioning valve. That function is served by the ABS system).
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #10

well, we don't know what else it could be as we've changed everything that he thought was bad. I guess the valve runs the right and left side together, not front and rear. cross your fingers that this fixes it...