Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Ideas for window shades / curtains?

In the process of converting our passenger van into more of a camper and looking for some ideas for window shades for privacy. I got some of these Waldoch shades but they didn’t quite fit right and wasnt crazy about how they mounted so I returned them. What have others used? I have seen some just use some insulation material cut to fit, which i am open to but would like something that doesn’t take up a lot of space when not being used as storage space is at a premium. Something permanently mounted to the windows would be more ideal, that can be opened and closed. Just looking for some ideas, didn’t see any other threads out there specifically for window coverings.

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Reflectix works well and is very cheap. Roll it out, cut to fit, stick it in.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
Reflectix works well and is very cheap. Roll it out, cut to fit, stick it in.
That was kind of my backup plan if i can’t come up with anything more “elegant”. How do you attach it? Or just cut it a little bigger so it fits snug?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

Just cut it a little bigger and stuff it in. Several people have made covers for the reflectix so they look nicer.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

I have a 2010 EB passenger. I narrowed it down to using Reflectix or having a double layer of limo tint done. Reflectix was $25 and looks alright when you get it pressed in, or spend $500 for double tint, which looks good but expensive, and turns purple over time. Plus, I couldn't convince my GF that nobody could see her if I had super dark tint, she still wanted something solid.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ideas for window shades / curtains?

I just ordered new gray day/night shades for my 2 CRL awning windows from these guys
https://www.recpro.com/rv-blinds/rv-...des-rv-blinds/
I have the original tan day/night shades if anyone wants em’ just pay for shipping.
You’ll need to make some sort of window box to mount them to, but without having a build out with wall panels, it might not look right?
These are the original SMB window boxes I ended up recovering
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3464.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	23692
Here they are mounted to the wall panel and window frame, they’ll get a trim piece to finish. The day/night shades get mounted top and bottom inside the frame
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	23693
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Those day/night shades seem pretty nice. Is there a lot of rattle from them off-road? I think that's the kind of solution I'm looking for ideally, just need to figure out if they're going to be sturdy enough mounted to the interior trim pieces in our van. Maybe I can use some drywall anchors so the screws don't strip out from the plastic.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #8

Reflectix blocks 100% of the light and works reasonably well at reducing heat gain in the summer, but it's pretty poor at keeping the heat in, in the winter. I think it has an R value somewhere around 1.2. It's a bit difficult to get a perfect fit, so I ended up with a few "light leaks", but it's pretty close. Having said that, I still use it but need to up my game for this coming winter. For the windshield, I cut a second piece so I now have a double layer. It's a bit stiff but it helps. For the side windows in back, I installed some foam board behind a layer of Reflectix. Last winter I bought a 4 x 8ft sheet of foam and sandwiched it up against the roof eliminating the ability to open it, but it certainly warmed things up a bit. The removable pieces are a bit bulky to store, but fit below the mattress during the day. Built in shades would certainly be much nicer, but far more expensive too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Reflectix blocks 100% of the light and works reasonably well at reducing heat gain in the summer, but it's pretty poor at keeping the heat in, in the winter. ....
Refletix is only good at blocking radiant heat transfer (e.g. sun) There is the convection and conduction heat transfer.

Quote:
For the windshield, I cut a second piece so I now have a double layer. It's a bit stiff but it helps. For the side windows in back, I installed some foam board behind a layer of Reflectix. Last winter I bought a 4 x 8ft sheet of foam and sandwiched it up against the roof eliminating the ability to open it, but it certainly warmed things up a bit
So you basically insulating windows and anywhere else with a combination of reflectix and blue-board?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #10

I use velcro strips to put them up and take them off, all I have are Reflectix covered by dark cloth liner.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote