Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

If you can't handle the heat ...

... let it out.

Many others have done this mod and I've been contemplating it for the last 50,000 miles on the van. Finally time.

I bought the large louvers from RunCool like eBadger used. http://www.hoodlouvers.com/. After ordering, I had second thoughts and tried to change order to medium, but too late. Now that they are on, I'm glad I went with large. I think Chris at UJOINT uses medium when he installs.

First I removed the hood and worked from the underside to mark, remark, re-remark until I figured out where I wanted them.

Then I drilled holes from the underside to mark where all the turns were when I would cut.

Then I taped the hole outline on the top using the holes I drilled as corner markers.

Then a Dremel makes easy work of our fiberglass hoods.

.... and voila, you have big holes in your hood.

Next, lay the louvers on the hood top and measure, measure, re-measure, mark all the holes, erase all the marks, re-measure and finally re-re-remeasure again. Re-mark the holes and drill a lot.

Then after inserting lots of rivets, you are done.

Re-install the hood and done!

eBadger mounted his as an angle to make best use of area of the unreinforced cut out area under the hood (and works well with his hood graphics), but I elected to mount mine straight.

Next trip up is hauling small trailer over the Sierra to Black Rock City. Will see if it helps keep temps down some.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: If you can't handle the heat ...

Nice write up Phil, and I can completely understand the trepidation of cutting big holes in your hood.

Were the large louvers able to sit flat on the hood, or do they need to bend to conform to any curvature?

Keep us posted on the results, and also keep us posted on if you have any issues with water intrusion. Water intrusion has always been in the back of my mind, and one of the reasons that I've yet to pull the trigger on a mod like this.

Herb
Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Hey Herb -

yes, they conform to the hood, but easily. First one I didn't pre-bend the tip, but the second one I did. They are easily formed, so not a big issue.

I, like you, have always been concerned with the water intrusion thing which is why I've held off so long while others have gone down this road. I have quiz'ed a few people that have had them installed for a while, and not a one has mentioned any issue with water intrusion.

This is step one of my heat control plan to make travel for my bride more comfortable. As all know who have diesels, the passenger seat is indeed the hot seat. When the fan kicks in on those long climbs, the heat really rises in the cab. I'm hoping this gives it somewhere else to go (also I can get to having a beer quicker at camps since I won't have to go out and open the hood to let the heat out). Of course much of that heat is from the elevated EGT, so next on this list is up pipe & down pipe insulation.

Will let you know if I notice any difference.

Phil

Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

For comparison, here's Erik Badgers vent install compared to mine. His takes more advantage of all the vent openings (and of course has a cool angry badger on the hood).

Badger under hood:

Mine under hood:

Badger hood closed (I seriously do like the graphic!):

Mine hood closed:

Now that I look at these, I think Erik may have gotten the XL vents as they look wider than mine. Not sure if it is just camera angle.

Phil

Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Phil, a couple more questions.

Is the louver itself the template for the rivet holes?

Where the rivet hole lays over a section of the hood where it appears to be a double layer of fiberglass with a void in-between, does the rivet just go through the outermost layer of the hood?

So what's the air flow (measured with your hand) like while parked and at idle, or after a drive and at idle?

Herb
Old 08-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Herb -

To your earlier curve question, here are a few pictures of the curve. It worked out nice.

Quote:
Is the louver itself the template for the rivet holes?
Yes, the louver is the template for the entire project.

Quote:
Where the rivet hole lays over a section of the hood where it appears to be a double layer of fiberglass with a void in-between, does the river just go through the outermost layer of the hood?
The entire hood is two layers with a thin layer of metal foil between. I dug one of the cut out pieces out of the trash and peeled the two layers apart to show you. As for rivets, where the two layers are close together (like the area I cut out), I drilled through both layers so the rivet could be pushed all the way through, but it only clamps on the outer layer of the hood. Where I riveted in a "structural" section of the hood where the two layers are far apart, I only drilled through the outer section. Hope that all makes sense.

Quote:
So what's the air flow (measured with your hand) like while parked and at idle, or after a drive and at idle?
I only have about 10 miles on the van around town yesterday and today and the fan hasn't come on yet to check out. I'm sure the trip to BRC later this month will give me plenty of chances to check it out though.

Hope all that helps some. Not sure where in CA you are located, but would be happy to let you check the install out if you want and even help with yours if you want. I'm in the SF East Bay area.

Phil

Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks for all the info Phil, and the offer.

I'm in Ventura County, but I'm van-less. I've been eyebaling the Race Ace louvers for my 7.3L Excursion. It cools down fairly nicely, but on extended hill climbs while towing I would like to see the coolant and oil temps lower than they are. It does OK, but heat is detrimental to all things mechanical and electrical so I would like to see them lower. I've also eyed an aftermarket aluminum radiator, and maybe an aftermarket intercooler too.

My thoughts are more air flow through the engine bay can't do anything but help keep everything cooler.

Herb
Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Great write up and really nice job. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'm really interested to see what kind of difference it actually makes with your temperatures when it is all said and done. If it does make a significant difference I may be one of the next in line to work on this modification.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

I like that there is a kegerator in the work station!

Nice work on the vents also!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I didn't cut as much out on mine hood and saw a huge difference in cooling especially the transmission temps. I might cut a little more but decided to make sure it could structurally handle it. I had planned to add fans but have now put that on the back burner. I also worry about water.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote