Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #21

Re: If you can't handle the heat (Part II) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
I actually bought the y pipe unit from sinister diesel - powder coated and wrapped - (yes replaced the bellows) and then on the down pipe went cheap and sprayed it. I figured exhaust was leaving into a 4" pipe just 2' away.

(Joe - any thoughts on my alternator issue - dash battery light - see thread just posted, thanks).
I replied in your thread but I had issues with my DCpower alternator with the wire that the alternator uses to read the voltage it's putting out.

Did the Sinister line up and bolt back on ok? The bellows are known to crack, especially if you delete the EGR. I'm not doing anything with mine at the moment but it's one of the few items on a van that's an easier replacement or fix than the trucks.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #22

Re: If you can't handle the heat (Part II) ...

The sinister bolted up perfectly. Worth the investment as it has design improvements.

I wish I could tell you exactly what work regarding the heat but I did all these mods at once...followed the recommendations of others.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #23

Bump for a heat report. Because of an unrelated repair I'm replacing the Y pipe as well as doing some other mods. What's the gut feeling on heat wrap and ceramic coat on the turbo y-pipe and down pipe pjpvi? Pros, cons or hard to tell?
Old 01-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #24

Garage
I heat wrapped my up pipes. I can't speak about any noticeable performance gains, but the cabin is a tad quieter.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
I heat wrapped my up pipes. I can't speak about any noticeable performance gains, but the cabin is a tad quieter.
If you also wrapped the downpipe I'm curious if you noticed a difference in turbo cool-down?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #26

Garage
I didn't wrap it yet as I'm still running my stock exhaust. Once I get around to installing a 4" system, it will also get wrapped.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
I didn't wrap it yet as I'm still running my stock exhaust. Once I get around to installing a 4" system, it will also get wrapped.
If you have a 6.0 I don't think a 4" downpipe will fit. At least not without modification.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Bump for a heat report. Because of an unrelated repair I'm replacing the Y pipe as well as doing some other mods. What's the gut feeling on heat wrap and ceramic coat on the turbo y-pipe and down pipe pjpvi? Pros, cons or hard to tell?
Overall, I'm happy with the mods, but hard to say what exactly is directly attributable to ceramic coating the up pipes and ceramic coating / wrapping the down pipe. Since I never sit in the passenger seat, I rely on my wife's report that it seems to be cooler over there. Noise level in the cab is down, but I really think that is also largely attributed to the tune. Power is up, temps are down, MPG is up.

Aside form a more traditional trip to Canyonlands, I made another trip this year over the Sierra to Burning Man with a heavy load (in the van and a trailer). This was a similar load to what I hauled there 2 years ago and I can tell you the van did significantly better pulling long grades over the Sierra this time!

So, purely from my experience, I'd recommend the mods I did.

Happy New Year!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #29

Do you notice any difference in how long it takes to cool down the turbo after a hard pull? That would really be the main downside to me. The rest, like water/rust or weakened welds, appears to be a non-issue.

Thanks again for taking the time to document your mods and Happy New Year as well!
Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Do you notice any difference in how long it takes to cool down the turbo after a hard pull? That would really be the main downside to me. The rest, like water/rust or weakened welds, appears to be a non-issue.
I don't specifically measure turbo temp, but overall temps are down (oil and coolant) and once I stop perception is they drop quicker, but may just be because they don't get as high. Remember I also put hood vents in, so heat can escape from under the hood a little easier too.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote