Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #31

All righty then, I'm going to wrap the downpipe. It looks like you used 2" wrap and a 50% overlap or so? How many feet did it take to wrap the downpipe?

Using this calculator it appears I could get by with 25' but hate to come out short. Stuff is pretty pricey. https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/e...rap-calculator

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
All righty then, I'm going to wrap the downpipe. It looks like you used 2" wrap and a 50% overlap or so? How many feet did it take to wrap the downpipe?
I had to go look at all the pictures I took and found one of the packaging. Looks like I bought 100'. I know I have some left over, but I don't think it's a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrap.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I had to go look at all the pictures I took and found one of the packaging. Looks like I bought 100'. I know I have some left over, but I don't think it's a lot.
Wow, 100' to wrap 4 feet of downpipe? I think that maybe with a little bit less overlap I could get by with 50'. Either way, yours sure came out nice!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Wow, 100' to wrap 4 feet of downpipe? I think that maybe with a little bit less overlap I could get by with 50'. Either way, yours sure came out nice!
I was originally going to wrap the up pipes too, so maybe I have more left than I think I do. I can check how much is left next time I go the the shed.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #35

I picked up the MBRP Y-pipe with the improved flex bellows and had everything ceramic coated and then I wrapped all the pipes with same DEI titanium exhaust wrap. The coating is the air cure Cerakote in Glacier Silver and I used 50" of wrap with a 1/4" overlap.

Thanks for the inspiration pjpvi
Attached Thumbnails
Cerakote_1.jpg   Ti Wrap_1.JPG   Ti Wrap_2.JPG  
Old 03-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #36

Garage
any updates from those who've ceramic-coated + wrapped pipes??

I know this thread is old-er, but wanted to see if anyone who's performed this upgrade has additional feedback!?!

When I get the van back, I'm going to ceramic-coat, wrap, and seal the up-pipes and down-pipe. Maybe even the intake manifold, and intercooler pipes, with ceramic coating!?! Have emailed Odawg asking if anyone has ever ceramic coated the intake.

For reference purposes, this thread talks about sealing the heat wrap to ensure longevity - big benefit to wrapping up pipes? - PowerStrokeArmy

Also found the following website from Cerakote that discusses the advantages of ceramic coating with real world testing - https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/res...HeatShield.pdf
Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #37

My feedback is that wrapping the up-pipes does help the turbo spool up. But you can also address turbo lag with aftermarket tuning. I mainly did it to reduce underhood heat and wrapping the downpipe probably made the biggest difference since it's right under the dog haus.

I guess it depends on the goals. If it's for performance there are probably better bangs for the buck. Before going to the expense of cerakoting the intake manifold I'd probably go for a more free flowing ODAWG manifold with ported intakes. https://kcturbos.com/collections/6-0...ntake-manifold
Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #38

No hard data on results, but general feel is that wrapping the downpipe did help on temps transmitted to the passengers left leg. Not really sure how much to attribute to the Ceramic coating. I may get around to wrapping the up pipes too and see if that adds any benefit.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #39

up-pipe, down pipe, turbo blanket

My up-pipe failed last weekend crossing a texas gate. I had done an EGR delete a couple years ago which I’ve read can accelerate up-pipe failure. Anyway, the plan is to replace with a fel-pro 30400 it’s 409 stainless and seems to have decent quality flex joints with inner liners. I was thinking about wrapping the up, down and turbo while I’m at it but have read quite a few sources that claim wrapping will overheat the tubing and accelerate failure.

Doesn’t seem like you guys have experienced any issues. Maybe less of an issue on diesels?

I don’t really have an issue with van passenger temps but not cooking everything under the hood seems like a good idea.
waren is offline   Reply With Quote