Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

Info Milling K30 Rotors for 2001 Quigley Conversion

Hi Folks -

I've got a 2001 Sportsmobile with a Quigley conversion. It was time to replace the front rotors so I gave Sportsmobile a call which led to a call to Quigley to get the details. According to Quigley, my conversion uses rotors spec'd for a 1986 Chevy K30. But they must be turned/milled on the interior to make room for the ABS sensor mounted on the drive shaft housing.

Quigley is kind enough to offer the modified rotors for approximately $145 per rotor plus shipping charges. Therefore, $300 and some change for the two rotors. Stock rotors can be found for around $50 a piece.

I did a bit of searching for more information about the modification required and came across the following threads:

SMB 4WD Parts Reference Thread

Quigley 4x4 Front Brake reference

With this specific post containing information on the material that needs to be removed:

Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

Now with some better understanding of what was needed and with access to a CNC machine shop, I decided to tackle the job of milling the rotors myself.

I began by removing one of my rotors so that I could verify the sizing and previous milling that had been done. It matched the information from diagram in the post above.

Made a quick run to the local O'Reilly auto supply store and purchased a pair of these which matched the old pair:

BrakeBest Select Brake Rotor
Part # 5048RGS Line: BBR

To use our CNC mill required me to generate the CAM for running the machine. I measured one of the new rotors and modeled it in my CAD/CAM app Fusion 360. The interior ledge that requires milling isn't a continuous radius. But I modeled it as if it was continuous as it would be fine milling as if it was.

Here's the sketch profile of the material that needs to be removed:

And here is a render of the rotor with the ledge on the inside:

Next up was creating the CAM operations to remove the material. As I would be using a mill and not a lathe, my operations were picked for that machine. I created three operations:
  1. Pocket - Clear main portion of ledge
  2. Pencil - Clean interior fillet of ledge
  3. 2D Chamfer - Clean edges

Finally it was time to machine the rotor. I mounted it inside of our Haas VF2 SS mill, set the home position, then fed the machine the G-Code generated by Fusion 360.

And here it is being milled:

To finally produce the machined rotor:

And, of course, a shot on the vehicle:

If you made it this far, thanks for looking. And I hope there's helpful info in here for others.

Cheers!

hansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

Garage
Certainly admiration all those such as yourself that tackle these types of projects on your own - Very industrious, Great job.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Wow, that is some stellar research and work.

Herb
Old 12-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #4

Garage
nice writeup and great info for the Quigley owners that utilize the k30 rotors!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

Is this simply a lathe job, that you chose to do in an available HAAS CNC mill?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Is this simply a lathe job, that you chose to do in an available HAAS CNC mill?
Yes, the lathes here aren't large enough to handle the rotor. Used the mill since it was available, could handle the part, and it's fun to use
hansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

That is very cool! Thanks for sharing.
It also makes the price one has to pay for an already modified set not seem too bad after seeing what goes into the whole process.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

I have a wood lathe and tried to copy your idea. It didn't work out. There was lots of smoke and unfortunately my van burnt to the ground after trying to bed in my brakes. Did I do something wrong?

Seriously, thanks for sharing. I have no metalwork background and absolutely love it when guys like you show up.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I have a wood lathe and tried to copy your idea. It didn't work out. There was lots of smoke
I think you would have been fine if you had first cleaned up all the wood chips.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansk View Post
Quigley is kind enough to offer the modified rotors for approximately $145 per rotor plus shipping charges.
So will you be selling these to Forum Members for 139$ per rotor plus shipping charges?

Thank you for the awesomely done post. If I were you I would crack a smile of satisfaction every time I pressed the bakes after doing that job myself.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disc, k30, milled, quigley, rotor