Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Input please- Suspension

Hi folks
Here is the sitch:

Folks
a little first hand experience would be awesome

Rig:
Class C Majestic 19 G - Cruise America second hand 127,000 miles
single rear wheels, Bilstein's will be mounted in a few days
Ford E350 chassie


On the list
Front and rear sway bars and Sumos


Helwig
Front-7718
rear-7182

Sumos
Front: SSF-106-40
Rear: SSR-106-40-1

Current Plan
Rear Sway
Front Sumos

see how it rides

then
Front sway
Rear Sumos

Comments?
Thoughts?

Thank you in advance

BW
__________________

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 213
I’m not sure but: checking coil and leaf springs? All rubber bushings (like sway bar and so on) as you already get your hands dirty.
Check u joints, ball joints,…

Not sure if you‘re only asking for suspension, but for the sake of completeness:
Swap all fluids (engine, transmission, diff, coolant, brake fluid,…), brake pads, spark plugs, coils, oil filter, gas filter and especially check for possible leaks „behind the scenes“
__________________

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
I’m not sure but: checking coil and leaf springs? All rubber bushings (like sway bar and so on) as you already get your hands dirty.
Check u joints, ball joints,…

Not sure if you‘re only asking for suspension, but for the sake of completeness:
Swap all fluids (engine, transmission, diff, coolant, brake fluid,…), brake pads, spark plugs, coils, oil filter, gas filter and especially check for possible leaks „behind the scenes“

Good points, the divetrain in up to speed, i have had for a year

This is a supension only upgrade
On my list is new rubber bushings and checking ujoints and ball joints
Thank you for the reminder

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 664
To the OP, why are you wanting to do these mods? does she wallow in the corners? blown around by trucks. etc?
I have no experience with the sway bars in my van but I have read in here that many opt for the E450 sway bar when used on a class C
Bilstein makes two damping levels for the van shocks, be sure to get the RV model (firmer).
__________________
2002 e350 window eb,
7.3
CCV high top
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
To the OP, why are you wanting to do these mods? does she wallow in the corners? blown around by trucks. etc?
I have no experience with the sway bars in my van but I have read in here that many opt for the E450 sway bar when used on a class C
Bilstein makes two damping levels for the van shocks, be sure to get the RV model (firmer).
Nuts:
wallows like a pig LOL
trucks and wind buffet me

Bilstein HD just arrived minutes ago

Think i will test with them

RV forum are split 50/50
sumo/swaybars

Sumos front are $200
Rear sway bar @ $300

Will advise

any one with first hand info, much appreciated
and as always, welcome to input from you folks

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,623
Garage
I would consider air bags in the rear (with dash controls - which would require an on-board air compressor), this way you have the capability of easily adjusting the pressure to fit your needs.
I often increase pressure when driving slalom type roads to stiffen the rear, and decrease for easy driving (highways, Interstate, etc). Pair these with your upgraded shocks, and a sway or track bar and you'll be questioning why you didn't do this sooner.
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I would consider air bags in the rear (with dash controls - which would require an on-board air compressor), this way you have the capability of easily adjusting the pressure to fit your needs.
I often increase pressure when driving slalom type roads to stiffen the rear, and decrease for easy driving (highways, Interstate, etc). Pair these with your upgraded shocks, and a sway or track bar and you'll be questioning why you didn't do this sooner.
That makes sense

shocks just arrived
will order rear sway soon
(my rig is only 19ft, track bar usage is not mentioned much on the RV boards)

any recommendation on air bags?

THANK you

BW
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:20 PM   #8
REF
Senior Member
 
REF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, CO.
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via MSN to REF
I have a set of these on the rear of the van for towing

https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...gs/know-squat/

There’s also Firestone air springs
__________________
'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
(de)SMB'd Custom RB-50
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile Offroad's R.I.P. package
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,834
Update:

Here is my path to date:

1) bilsetin hd all around
2) rear swaybar helwig
3) check all ball joints and fittings during swaybar & shock install
4) full alignment

Test drive

Phase Two
1) Rear Sumos
opting for sumos vs airbags due to install cost/time and not down for another "system"
that may need service

Test drive

Phase Three
1) new front steering stablizer
2) front sumos
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TomsBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 1,049
"wallows like a pig"

Bill, that makes me chuckle


I've straightened out a few wallowing pigs, and I like your list, rear sway bars really help, as do very stiff shocks, helper bags (the 100psi type) will help a lot. But from my experience, it lacks an examination of tires, specifically tire sidewall stiffness.


You mention single rear wheel, which isn't by itself horrible, but with the overhang typically present on class C motorhomes, often rear bath and gray, black, and freshwater tank locations (causing the center of gravity to move aft) not having stiff enough sidewall tires will have a profound effect on camper 'wallowing'.



When I say profound, I'm not overstating here, we're talkin' night and day difference. 8ply, 12ply load range E or higher if you can find 'em, all four corners. That, with sway bars and shocks, helper bags if the rear is sagging, and it will drive like a new rig.
__________________

__________________
1995 E350 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 high roof camper, UJOR 4" lift
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Behemoth

Besags

Clyde

ormtnbiker
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×