Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Is old pop top worth buying?

Saw this on craigslist for like $1,500. Was thinking of buying to put the pop top on my 2002 chevy conversion van, but not sure it's worth doing. Is it worth the project or do I need to suck it up and buy a new one? I don't really have the time to do the work myself so I tend to lean towards better to buy new and pay for install than to buy old and pay someone to try to make it look like a new install. Will probably be out same money.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop top.jpg  

Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

If the canvas is in good shape, grab it for $1000, and then pay someone another $1500 or so to install.. it's not hard.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #3

Really? Man I'm thinking more than that. The pop top been sitting in TX sun looks like will need new paint, which is cheap enough and easy to do myself. The cutting and installation I'm thinking at least 2 days job at $100 an hour. I guess it's not as much as I thought.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
Really? Man I'm thinking more than that. The pop top been sitting in TX sun looks like will need new paint, which is cheap enough and easy to do myself. The cutting and installation I'm thinking at least 2 days job at $100 an hour. I guess it's not as much as I thought.
I'd ask around, I'm just guessing. But it's not that hard, particularly if you have both vans parked right next to each other.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Is old pop top worth buying?

Installing a new one is predicated on SMB having one available that fits the roof line of your particular model. They didn't keep the molds around forever.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Installing a new one is predicated on SMB having one available that fits the roof line of your particular model. They didn't keep the molds around forever.

Which brings up something I didn't notice.. I'm not a Chevy expert, but is the poptop for sale the same body type as the Texoma's 2002? I don't think so, which could add complications for a swap. Probably still doable but not necessarily an easy swap like I suggested.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Which brings up something I didn't notice.. I'm not a Chevy expert, but is the poptop for sale the same body type as the Texoma's 2002? I don't think so, which could add complications for a swap. Probably still doable but not necessarily an easy swap like I suggested.
Agree, but is it all fiberglass where it collapses onto the roof? If so, wouldn't it be pretty easy to modify the glass to make a good fit. I mean not easy for me, but for a fiberglass professional it would be easy, but probably run another $2K. Think I'm up to $4K worst case now.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post

I'd go Colorado Camper anyways because they stretch the full length of the van and I think that will also be much better at reducing leakage. Just looked at Colorado Camper website and for a chevy, the price is $7,800 and includes 100 hours of labor for installation. Even at $50 an hour that would be $5,000 just for installation. Think I just talked myself out of it. That tells me brand new without installation these things are probably in the $4K range so installation is likely half the cost.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

Having uninstalled and refurbished a used penthouse for an install on my van I would not recommend it. I snagged mine for $50 at a junkyard. By the time I bought a new canvas, raptor lined it, sleeved the lift bars, new seals, lights, and redid all the hardware with shoulder bolts I was in it nearly $2000. Not to mention the amount of intensive labor to get it all together and looking professional. It is a specialized install that has a fair amount of quirks to be sorted out. You will need alot of muscle for the uninstall and install. I've heard good thing about CCV penthouses. I haven't seen one personally but have heard they have sound engineering.
Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
MSD

Garage
There are more options. Opt Overland in Fort Collins does a really nice pop top either DIY or they will install. The work is top quality and so is the engineering. Both owners have extensive knowledge in the industry and one was a ford engineer. So you do have other options other than SMB or CCV. You can contact Dai either on here as opt Overland or dai@optoverland.com

I might add Dai and Doug are friends of mine and we have developed some products for the van and overlanding industry. But that being said, I'd never plug a product I can't stand behind either...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote