Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakwagon View Post
From what I've read it will cost $2500 to get a canvas from SMB if you can convince them. I'll keep you guys updated in the coming weeks.
A few folks here have obtained SMB canvas.......I asked Jonathan at SMB Fresno about buying a replacement canvas and the answer was "$2800 installed only"

What town/city are you in?

Also.....you should consider attaching the canvas to the top with furring strips instead of the headliner...makes things much more serviceable in the future, like for adding solar wiring, etc.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #12

FYI, SMB West sold me a new canvas for less than $1000.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #13

Im located in tampa. Quite a long ways from the nearest SMB. I've already bought a set of batteries and inverter. I've been shopping around for panels too. Definitely gonna go solar and probably add a thule cargo box up top for winter coats and other bulky things. This is what the ceiling looks like now. I'm gonna do my best to copy and paste the work I've already done onto the ceiling of the penthouse. Would have been nice to do the penthouse conversion before trimming an insulating everything in, but that's the way it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #14

I will be calling SMB west tomorrow then. We're you able to pick a color? The only ones I've ever seen are sand stone and will clash with the slate grey that I'm eventually painting the van.
Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #15

86scotty was able to get SMB North to make a black one for twogone's van, but all the rest are beige.

They look good with gray though.
Attached Images

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #16

Love hearing about a good yard find, I've put lots of canvas on boats, stick with Sunbrella.
Slowly building interior
E250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
FYI, SMB West sold me a new canvas for less than $1000.
Rally, was $1K regular price, or did they happen to have one lying around they wanted to get rid of and give you a good deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
86scotty was able to get SMB North to make a black one for twogone's van, but all the rest are beige.

They look good with gray though.

What exterior color is that? Looks really good.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #18

Not to threadjack, but has anyone seen or thought of using a waterproof material that won't mildew or mold rather than canvas?

I duck hunt and fly fish in the winter and sometimes the only way not to put a wet top down is to never raise it. Which kind of defeats the purpose.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #19

$1k is the regular price. Actually it's a bit less but for all the bells and whistles it comes up to about $975 IIRC. But, the catch is that they don't seem to want to make and sell them except on certain days. No one knows the days. I think SMB has a cruel and unusual sense of humor. It makes no sense to me. I got lucky.

Flakwagon, all penthouse bars bend eventually. My advice of 'flip em' above was serious. When you are installing the top and you have all the frame attached to the old van roof then put the bars on upside down (where they are bent the other way) and put the top on, without canvas. Using the weight of the top get the bars bent back to straight, then sleeve them. I haven't done this but I'm not sure of another way to do it. Somehow you need to get those bars straight. If you have a way to straighten them off the van that would be ideal. It might be easier to just inquire with one of the SMB locations about selling you some fresh bars. I used solid steel round bar in one I just did, 3' lengths in the center of each bar. Boywonder's build thread has a much more complete outline of the process than the pics I took on Twogone's van but it's not a bad job and anything you put in there is going to help keep them from bending.

If you want a bulletproof and simple way to refinish the top try Raptor Liner or any spray bedliner. It works great on SMB tops.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #20

Junkyard EB50 Penthouse refurbishment help

Here's my roof install link. For some reason the photos won't show up in Tapatalk, but will if you login to the forum online the old fashioned way. Dumb.

1984 Dodge B350 4x4 project

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ject-7927.html

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Tags
canvas, penthouse, pop up, poptop