Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Van is almost gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoberk

Today, I removed all the anchor brackets and seat belt anchors. This is a two person job; so my 3-1/2 year old daughter ran the impact driver inside the van while I had a wrench on the nut underneath the van. One of my favorite parenting moments ever.
Would be a great picture. Family project...good luck on your and your daughter's build

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #12

Re: My new 1994 SMB project.

way to jump in! Can't wait to follow your progress.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #13

Wow, sounds like you were right about that wood after all! After all of us thinking it was not part of the problem, it was damp and moldy! Good call. :-)

3-1/2 and helping out with power tools, lol, that's great!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
Site Team

FYI:

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #15

The smaller Norcold doesn't have a true freezer like the 4cf and if you're changing you might consider an upgrade... there are some relevant results if you put norcold sawzall in the search.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #16

Removal of wall panels and carpet

Took an unscheduled break from working at home today for a couple van related activities First, after reading all of your responses, I realized how important this forum is to my project in terms of knowledge and motivation; so I made a financial contribution to keep it running. Second, I went outside during a Seattle sun break and pulled out the wall panels and tore out the carpeting. Here's the current view:

The worst of the rotted subfloor and moldy carpet is right where the Porta Potty had been stored which I'm sure was adding piquant note to the van's odor:

I have three areas of concern now. First, the 1/2" OSB is in patchable shape, but is ridiculously wavy as seen in the below shot. This was less visible with carpet and padding, but with my vinyl floor it's going to be very noticeable. I'm wondering if I should replace all of it with plywood. 1/2" or 3/4"? I have a left over roll of 1/4" cork underlayment that I could lay below it to deaden sound and increase insulation. Or on top of ply? I've read through other subfloor posts, but haven't read anything definitively convincing yet. This shot also shows the overhang that SMB created with the subfloor. I will be eliminating that unless it is creating a "kick" underneath counter space.

Continued in next post for more pics . . .
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_4339.jpg   _MG_4344.jpg   _MG_4342.jpg  
leoberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #17

Removal of wall panels and carpet, part II

The Starcool unit worked before I tore into this thing. But when I took the cabinet off of it, I noticed that the housing around this copper connection was completely cracked. The cabinet panel next to this area was really water damaged, but I initially thought that might be from condensation. Now I wonder if it has something to do with this broken line.

Finally, it was disappointing to see how craptastic the insulation job was underneath the wall panels. Guess I'll be redoing that as well. Some of it is also growing some species of mold from leaking windows, so removing it will also improve the air quality inside the rig. I'm sure there are lots of insulation options. The reflectix looks pretty interesting. I'll need to research this some more.

Jage, what would be an upgrade from the Norcold?

Thanks again everyone for comments and support.

Leo
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_4345.jpg   _MG_4349.jpg  
leoberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #18

You've gone this far, why wouldn't you replace the OSB with plywood? Marine grade maybe. Lot more knowledgeable people on here than me.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/304_Plywoo ... ter_.shtml
Quote:
Summary: Plywood and oriented strand board (OSB) are similar, yet different. They are made similarly yet react differently when they get wet. OSB may be less expensive, but if cuts are made to the surface, it loses its waterproof quality.
Hmm, if cuts are made...

Anyway, the portapotti leak was probably from the fresh water tank which is important if you're putting the same one back.

Regardless, I think pulling the subfloor and starting at refurbishing the van floor is a no-brainer at this point. I'm amazed at all you've done.... however, I am just waiting for you to go, "Well, I could change this..." and have the whole layout wrecked. Enlarging the underfloor storage and taking the whole floor down (instead of just your sunken living room) would be my first two suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoberk
Jage, what would be an upgrade from the Norcold?
Danfoss, Dometic, Tundra, Engle, I don't know I still have the Norcold.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #19

My new 1994 SMB project.

Fridge:
Truckfrige

On my second rig with TF
Specing on new build also
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #20

Impressive work so far! It sounds like you've got the talent and know how to tackle a lot of this stuff, and often it seems that you can do it 'right' in about the same time it takes for a reason to justify leaving it or skimping by on an alternative. The materials cost will be minimal, but you'll have great confidence knowing that once all the cabinets are back in that you'll NEVER have to tear out the subfloor or redo the insulation again if you take your time doing it right once.

I'll second billwilson's TF recommendation. I've done a fair bit of research as this is one item that will be important to our build. I ended up finding a (non-ACU) Isotherm for a great deal but was going to go with a TF otherwise. As far as I can tell they are more or less the same (both have the Danfoss compressor).