Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Re: LEDs in ThinLites

thanks guys. i am now on a mission to replace the lights......Ken

yada yada yada
surfdadken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #12

I just wanted to drop a quick reminder about wiring these LED strips if you haven't worked with them before.

It is very important that you keep the polarity of your wiring consistent. Remember that the the "D" in "LED" stands for "Diode". Diodes only let electricity pass through them in one direction. If you reverse the positive and negative when wiring the strips, the strip will NOT light up.

If you accidentally cross-wire the strips, and apply power, don't worry. 12V wired in reverse isn't enough to damage them. Just correct the polarity and everything should work just fine.

The strips I referenced are marked with + and - on them. Keep those connections straight, and everything will work okay.

I used speaker wire because the wire is color-coded and makes it easy, but you can use any kind of wire you like, such as lamp cord or landscape wire. Just trace the electrical path visually and you'll be golden.

Happy lighting!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #13

Garage

Thanks for this idea we bought the wrong kind of T8 bulbs but reliized after I tore out the ballist. Had the strip lights in the garage bam fixed due to this post. I used 2 strips plenty bright. Thanks
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #14

How many amps do those strips draw?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #15

Did a similar installation with LED light strips from IKEA. I installed a second switch on the light above the penthouse bed so that we could turn on 1/3rd of the LED strips when desired.

Have not measured the current draw but I would guessimate 1/3rd of an amp.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #16

The entire strip, according to the specs, is 24 Watts. IIRC, Watts = Amps x Volts. So, 24 = Amps x 12, or 2A if you power the entire roll.

There are 300 LEDs on a roll, which you can cut into sections of multiples of 3 LEDs, or about every 2" (I mis-stated it as every 3" in my original post -- oops), or 100 sections available per roll.

By my calculations, each single 3 LED section uses 0.02A. I'm using 20 sections of 3 LEDs each in my install for each ThinLite, so each ThinLite in my SMB uses 0.4A. That's a little above LenS's estimate.

I have 3 ThinLites in my van, all of which I have refitted with my method. I have never had all 3 ThinLites on at the same time except to test them. Usually, I only need to use one to provide usable light for nighttime illumination.

I don't know how many amps the original ThinLites used with the ballast/fluorescent tubes installed. Anyone know? It would be an interesting comparison.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #17

Photographix - Thanks so much for your original post on how you used the LEDs in the ThinLites. I've just completed two of three in our SMB using the same lights and method you described. They work great and it is such an inexpensive way to go about this project. I'm just waiting on a 3-way switch for my last ThinLite so I can use two red strips along with the four white strips. Once this is done, all lighting in the SMB will be LED.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #18

for those of you with more money than time I noticed Thinlight make LED fixtures to replace both models used by Sportsmobile. They do not appear to be much more than the bulbs i have found on line and they are dim-able.
yada yada yada
surfdadken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #19

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
By my calculations, each single 3 LED section uses 0.02A. I'm using 20 sections of 3 LEDs each in my install for each ThinLite, so each ThinLite in my SMB uses 0.4A. That's a little above LenS's estimate.

I don't know how many amps the original ThinLites used with the ballast/fluorescent tubes installed. Anyone know? It would be an interesting comparison.
1.6amps for the 12" lights and 2.2amps for the 18". All the specs can be found on their website.

http://www.thinlite.com/134ci-surface-mount
Old 01-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix

1.6amps for the 12" lights and 2.2amps for the 18". All the specs can be found on their website.

http://www.thinlite.com/134ci-surface-mount
I swapped my ThinLites to LEDs for energy savings, but I also wanted the flexibility to run one set of LEDs or both sets. Never had that flexibility with the fluorescent tubes but I suppose it should be doable.

Herb