Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #1

License Plate Tub Mods

Anyone ever mod your rear door license plate tub (applies mostly to those with a rear swing-arm box/tire setup)?

With the box and the license plate relocated, the tub is just a big empty hole. A buddy of mine suggested I put a speaker back there, but we rarely hang out towards the back of the van. While looking at RV shower heads for the van (considering some sort of shower setup) I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

Not sure if the dimensions are right, but could be a nice custom setup.
Attached Thumbnails
41Ce8x-D56L._SX385_.jpg   31n3mDSIjYL._SX385_.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Re: License Plate Tub Mods

If you mean placing that where the stock license plate is, the issue you'll have is running water / hose in the door jam. I don't see the a hose lasting long with the opening and shutting of the door.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
If you mean placing that where the stock license plate is, the issue you'll have is running water / hose in the door jam. I don't see the a hose lasting long with the opening and shutting of the door.
Hmm. Good point but I can see a work around. If the hose were just hung near the bottom between the door and van interior, with some slack, it might last. I can picture this looking ok, and I can picture it looking hideous. It really depends on how you have things laid out back there.

Audisnapr, you do mean this on the INSIDE of the door due to your box being on the outside? Just curious.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

License Plate Tub Mods

Interesting idea. Have not seen a shower in that position but like it. As SS said , the protecting the supply hose in the door jamb may be the hard part. Putting the supply hose in Some split tube wiring cover may be the solution, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006B8SB5 ... -3&pi=SL75. Another option may be having a supply hose that has quick disconnects, something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015AUY3 ... -1&pi=SL75 on each end. Just plug in both ends when needed.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

I put my shower into my door about 2 and a half years ago and it has worked perfectly and there is no sign of ware. Here is the post of that mod, it's the third post down. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6018

The other thing you have to consider is your lines and the shower valves freezing. If you plan on having your van in those conditions, you will have to have shout off valves in the van and then open both hot and cold on the shower valve to limit the chance of damage.

I think this would be a great mod and a good use of that space.
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
This was my first concern and assumed I could either do a quick release like larrie mentions or some other sort of "connect it when I need it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Audisnapr, you do mean this on the INSIDE of the door due to your box being on the outside? Just curious.
No, I meant for the shower to be on the exterior of the rear door where the license plate tub currently is. My earlier comment about the box was poorly worded - sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwintersteller
The other thing you have to consider is your lines and the shower valves freezing.
Very good point. Hadn't thought of that.

I think one of the bigger challenges is mounting the shower tub cleanly into the existing license plate tub - the biggest problem being the door handle that's integrated into the tub - the handle obviously has to stay.

BTW, I may not need this type of shower assembly since I don't have hot water in the van. The only reason I selected it was because of it's proportions, which coincidently is nearly the perfect size to fit in the license plate tub and still keep/use the door handle.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions!