Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #1

Lizardskin the Penthouse Top

My top was starting to show some ware, The clear coat was coming off in some places and other stuff. I decided to go with Lizardskin http://www.lizardskin.com/ to give both some grip and insulation. I used the ceramic insulation which comes in both white and black. I really thought I orders the white but to no avail when I opened up the tub it was black. By then I was committed to get the job done so I went ahead. You do need a special gun to apply, it really just takes the normal paint prep work, and of course masking and covering the remainder of the van.

I also replaced all the roof hardware while I was at it.

Kind of glad I did, this was the shape of the bolt that was taken from the front latches

Greg

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Lizardskin the Penthouse Top

That bolt looks like it was getting ready to go. Did you have any leaking inside?

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #3

I never really had water leaking in the front that I could tell, I would have to say that there was judging by the conditions of the bolts, the water just was not going inside. I did have a leak in the back, that was fixed a couple of years ago. You know the way water is, it may have made its way down there, in my normal parking position. That leak did not show up when I was parked there.

-greg
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Greg,

Thought I'd bring this thread back and see what your long(er) term assessment is of your Lizardskin. Any issues with peeling or fading? Noticed any improvements in heat/cold transfer?

thanks,
Herb
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

I'd be very interested in how old the original roof was when it needed re-coating (and also had those heavily corroded bolts in it).

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #6

It also looks like the OP used a different sealer for the bolts than the butyl stuff.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #7

Herb,
The lizardskin is holding up well. I don't have any real complaints, I don't have to worry about slipping when walking on the top. It acquires the "green stuff" that attaches to everything in the northwest if sitting to long, but that washes off easy with a hose. The lizard skin material can be painted also, I chose to leave it black. I am happy I'd do it again.

I wish I could tell you that it's keep the van cooler, with it's insulation properties. To really say that, I would have had instrumented it up and done some before and after measurements. Since I did not do the before measurements, it is a moot point. I really should have taken the time, my bad.

Top was originally installed in 2004, and I did have a prior leak in the roof, that was fixed.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...333&hilit=leak It is difficult to tell the problem from the picture but if you look close the washers for the bolts in the rib were not centered, so one of them really never would get flush with the top, as the side was hitting the angle of the rib. I found that in 2007, so I suspect that it was leaking from the get go. The main reason coating the top was the clear coat was starting to wear, and some minimal cracking that others have reported.

I attribute the rusted bolts to the original leak. Being in the middle of the roof, and since I usually back into my driveway, the water had nothing to do but migrate towards the front. So my experience would be to check the bolts of all off them if you have had a prior leak. When I found that leak, I could not find when parked in the driveway, I had to move it out on the street. Of course it was still leaking, just not finding an obvious exit point yet. A could clue that you may have a leak is to look for occasional dark spots on the penthouse fabric(outside) this usually the undercoating of the fiberglass top.

I did use butyl rubber when replacing. Same stuff that Jage used in his excellent write up.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
I wish I could tell you that it's keep the van cooler, with it's insulation properties.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's, in fact, warmer -- being black.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanks for info.

It is interesting the amount of variation in top design: 1. smooth top, 2. your style...6 rib with two bolts at rear clamp down point in "a ditch", 3. mine....SMB-I with 5 ribs and one clamp down point bolt at rear but not in "a ditch".

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

The two in the ditch are: one for the rear latch, and the second one holds up the Penthouse Bed. I have a walk through plan and a one piece bed. Yes, there seems to be a lot of variance. In any case I do not believe my original leak was a design issue, but instead a workmanship error.

greg