Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Gone Traveling

Loud squeaking when raising and lowering the roof...

Hi you guys, sorry to ask this of you, considering I’ve been a bit of a nuisance lately.
Can you look at this video and tell me what you think this is or how it can be fixed, and if it’s possibly damaging the mechanism? I’m hoping that this is just a simple lubrication issue. I’ve reached out to you know who several times, but they will not return my emails or phone calls, of course. I’d be very grateful if someone in this community could tell me what this is if they know… can you look at this video and tell me what you think this is or how it can be fixed, and if it’s possibly damaging the mechanism? I’m hoping that this is just a simple lubrication issue. I’ve reached out to you know who several times, but they will not return my emails or phone calls, of course. I’d be very grateful someone in this community could tell me what this is if they know…

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

https://youtu.be/lf1m2QSBap0

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Have you tried shooting some silicone spray in the pivot areas? Or maybe backing the nut off just a little bit?

I don’t have an electric PH, but in my manual one I never leave the top bed fully attached to the roof when raising as it’s a lot of extra weight. I leave one end attached to the roof and one sitting on the roof rails for a kind of lever effect.

Out of curiosity, does it make the noise when the bed is not attached to the roof when raising it up?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Team

That is a pretty annoying sound. If there are enough threads past what looks to be a Nylock nut, I would back the nut off by a 1/4 turn or so, and see if that reduces the compression and subsequently the squeak. Please only do that if there are bolt threads beyond the nut. I don't want you to have the PH bows come separated from each other at the pivot point.

Herb
Old 10-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Guess Brian beat me to the response...
Old 10-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Have you tried shooting some silicone spray in the pivot areas? Or maybe backing the nut off just a little bit?

I don’t have an electric PH, but in my manual one I never leave the top bed fully attached to the roof when raising as it’s a lot of extra weight. I leave one end attached to the roof and one sitting on the roof rails for a kind of lever effect.

Out of curiosity, does it make the noise when the bed is not attached to the roof when raising it up?
Thanks for replying. Yes, it makes the noise when the bed is not attached as well. Same noise. Same volume. Same consistency.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
That is a pretty annoying sound. If there are enough threads past what looks to be a Nylock nut, I would back the nut off by a 1/4 turn or so, and see if that reduces the compression and subsequently the squeak. Please only do that if there are bolt threads beyond the nut. I don't want you to have the PH bows come separated from each other at the pivot point.

Herb

Thank you for replying. Considering alll I’m going through with sportsmobile at the moment, I don’t think it’s a great idea that I do the work myself. Any excuse to void my warranty I think… they would take. I may have to drive to Texas to have it repaired. What a bummer.

However, I did hear back from Peter Del Toro and he said he’s going to mail me some silicon spray with a straw and some photographs pointing out where to apply the spray. For that, I am grateful to them.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
It may be the pivot point, but I’d also take a look at the track rails under the fabric. A few screws will expose the lift mechanism on either side, I bet Peter will instruct you to spray that area. I had a manual SMB top before swapping over to our CCV top, it squeaked, but was over in a second because it popped up so much faster, not that slow agonizing sound you have due to the slower electric lift. I also peeled back the fabric to silicone spray the springs and track, helped.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
It may be the pivot point, but I’d also take a look at the track rails under the fabric. A few screws will expose the lift mechanism on either side, I bet Peter will instruct you to spray that area. I had a manual SMB top before swapping over to our CCV top, it squeaked, but was over in a second because it popped up so much faster, not that slow agonizing sound you have due to the slower electric lift. I also peeled back the fabric to silicone spray the springs and track, helped.
After watching the YouTube video, He did indeed instruct me to spray lubricant on/into all the moving parts of the lift mechanism. I asked him if he would send me whatever kind of lubricant it is they use, and some pictures with him pointing where to spray the stuff. And he did.

So I consider this a win for SMBW. He responded promptly, answered (almost) all of my questions, took the pictures and emailed them to me, and was totally on the ball. This is the kind of attitude/actions everyone at SMBW should have/do. Most of us wouldn’t have the aggravation and frustration that we do about our vehicles, if they were like this all the time. This is the way to do it. So yeah, this is a win for them. I hope they keep it up. :-)