Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #21

Thank you

I am making the vehicle bracket part and was curious about this measurement

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Aluminess-supplied support strap:

I used the red stuff, whatever that means.

Cheers
That means it requires heat (e.g. A torch) to break it loose!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
That means it requires heat (e.g. A torch) to break it loose!
Haha yep!!! It's coming back now.
Absolutely.
This bolt was driving me nuts with how easily/frequently it was coming loose....and I think that's partly how I decided upon the red thread-lock....

....and also because: it was pretty clear that the previous owner had done the same thing. (I bought my Aluminess carrier from a guy locally who had used it for probably five years if I recall....)

When I went to un-bolt the original (Aluminess-supplied) support strap from the tire carrier, it just about required an act of God to get it to come loose. Had it in a bench vice and worked that bolt for about 10 minutes before it would come out.

And after I had mine (without thread lock, initially) come loose five times on one afternoon's off-road driving, I realized there probably was some logic behind getting that bolt in there ***extra good and nearly permanent***

Blue thread-lock would likely do the trick just fine too.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #24

Can anyone tell me what size bolt you used for replacing the rivet in the hinge for the top post support? Hoping to pick one up to have on hand before I remove the rivet.
Thanks!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #25

A little off topic but everyone is talking about the Aluminess Spare Tire Carrier so this was my solution to a little problem. I bought a used one from here and it had no support strap so I got creative and made a little bracket that screws into the van shell and bolts to the upright. It's good and solid but I still get a rattle from the hinges, but have yet to go after that issue

Old 05-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #26

Garage
^^^ thats slick, nice work!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
Can anyone tell me what size bolt you used for replacing the rivet in the hinge for the top post support? Hoping to pick one up to have on hand before I remove the rivet.
Thanks!
Hey Buffalo,
I'm not sure of the size of that bolt offhand --- but if you call the guys at Aluminess directly, they're super cool (at least they were always cool to me, and I bought my carrier second-hand!).....I am sure they will give you all the specs/dimensions of that bolt over the phone.

(*** Alternatively --- you could just acquire that bolt directly *from them* too. They use top-notch stainless hardware. (Which is indeed a good idea for a lot of the hardware on these racks, since it is in direct contact with aluminum and is thus extra-prone to corrosion in those locations.)

The bolt you are inquiring about (that goes through the top door hinge pin location and upper tire-carrier support strap) could theoretically be made of simple (non-stainless) steel, as it doesn't contact any aluminum components....but it definitely wants to be a top-grade bolt with a high shear-strength rating.)

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #28

Mike is right, I think it's a weird size. Someone had this problem and Aluminess just sent them one. I would go that route, and you'll probably get all the right nylon bushings and washers for a perfect fit to boot.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #29

I found another thread on this subject and took the advice from you guys and sent Aluminess a message.
Thanks!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote