Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 AM   #1

Method 701's worth paying for vs something else for free

So as part of my SEMA Transit build I found that with the 5x160 bolt pattern there are only a few wheel choices available.
Normally I am not a fellow that goes crazy when it comes to wheel choices. I either run a stock looking steel wheel so I can beat it back into shape if some rock attacks me in the back country or stick with the stock aluminum wheels if they are the right size.

While I didn’t have first hand experience with any of the wheels available I did know Method from watching how well they held up during all the NORRA Mexican 1000’s I chased for. Almost any wheel will work on the street and most will work for a normally loaded rig on forest roads. But beat on a wheel in Baja or put it on a heavy vehicle and the real test begins.

Now is the point you start thinking, “well of course he likes Method, they are giving him free wheels”. Nope, I am paying for these, yes there is a discount but I would rather pay for something that works in remote areas than run free something that leaves me stranded.

With previous SEMA builds the wheel choice did come down to the best partner deal since all the choices were about the same in performance. However for this van since I can’t more than a 33 inch tire and can’t really go wide I know I will be airing down often and many times way way down. That means a higher risk of rolling off a bead in sand, mud or snow. Sure I know how to re-seat a bead, and with the Extreme Outback compressor and a tank it won’t be hard. But even better is not having to deal with the problem in the first place.

I have seen first hand Method Trail series wheels aired down to 5psi and hold a bead, to me that is worth paying for. This "Bead Grip" seems to work...

So the winner for our Chase Red Transit will be Method 701 bronze wheels in 17 inch size, worth the cash I say……and now to figure out tires.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #2

Your subject line sounds like you are asking for advice, but the body text sounds like a Method advertisement. Confused...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

Good point....
Not an ad in the sense that I don't make anything regardless of what wheels you choose.

I do enjoy advice, comments and I sure what to hear about any negative experiences with Method wheels before I get these installed, from cracks, to finish to well anything it would be good to know.

This is about the assumption that a project vehicle has all free stuff on it. While it is nice to trade media content, events, performance testing and all kinds of other "work" for a product, there are times I have learned that it is better to pay cash for the better choice.

Sorry if it came across as an advert, it was more about explaining my thought process. These vans are big and heavy, I like to air way down for the Baja beaches and I don't like to come off the bead. Method is the only wheel maker that at least tried to do something design-wise to address that issue.

I really would like to hear thoughts from others as to why these chose the wheels they did. I really really want to hear any negative experiences with Method Trail series wheels.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #4

I chose the wheels on my transit because they already came with tires and it was $700 for both wheels and tires. I chose the wheels on my other vans because they were cheap and I liked the look. Wheels get beat and expensive wheels get beat too. Methods are awesome though.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Sorry, but I have no experience with Method wheels, but I do think that since your running a Transit, your less likely to be doing any extreme wheeling that could damage a wheel, but then I don't know you either. Airing way down for smooth sand is probably less likely to pop a bead than rough, rocky trails too, so you will probably be ok with most of the limited choices available to you. As another disabled wheeler / racer, you may know Chris Ridgway, but he does some of the most extreme stuff most of us would never consider and at times air's down into the low teens. I don't remember him ever mentioning loosing a bead. So, are you chasing this years 1000? Who do you chase for?..................Cheers
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:34 AM   #6

Yep I know Chris, we are both Left Below the Knee Amp's and joke about being each others spare parts

He really does push the limits on his van even when pulling a trailer, good stuff to watch and fun to hear his stories.

I choose the 130 RB LR with the Eco as the best wheeling platform and I am looking forward to what it will do. Of course with 33's as the current max it will never be like a solid axle on 37's but should be decent.

I chase in the NORRA Mexican 1000, the vintage race that happens in April ....and for Kaysinger Racing's Early Bronco. Love the old school cool of it all.
Sometimes it seems like we do as much working as racing...
Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #7

Do you know this one? Built by Glen, owner/partner at Agile.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5133.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Do you know this one? Built by Glen, owner/partner at Agile.
Wow I didn't know that was the connection.....Early Broncos are so cool...to bad the prices have gotten stupid.

I am bummed I won't make the NORRA 500 in October as this is the 1st running, but SEMA got on the schedule first and a full peninsula run in spring is so nice anyway.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

I have a 2wd E350 with the Method Standard and Hankook 10 ply side wall. I have been all over Baja and the Eastern Sierras with no problems and have ran them at 15psi and 30mph and haven't spun them off. The inner bead lock really helps.
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #10

2wd and a decent low pressure, well I would say that is a pretty solid recommendation
Thanks