Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
MSD

Garage
Looking forward to seeing pics of your rig in it's 4x4 glory once it's done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
My van did not like 265/75-16's at all with stock suspension. I modified the backs of the front fenderwells and they still rub. I'm all taken apart doing a 4 wheel drive conversion right now so that's how I'm fixing it but just FYI.

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #22

I just did the weldtec baja grocery kit with fox shocks, 6 lift, ext radius arms. Love it. I got fox steering stabilizer to install next. Just bought nfab nerf bars. I have 2wd with bfg ko2 265/75/16 and had slight rub occasionally before. I researched and I have factory lsd with my 2004 E350 v10. It does great in snow and limited off road. I have front hitch and love it. Another cheaper option is add winch to front hitch accessory.
subluxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
I really like the look of the eagle alloy 100 and atx Mojave. Can anyone tell me more about offset and what I should be looking for? Also, seems like bfg at tires are the go to. Assuming I went with 5 eagle alloy and 5 bfg at 265/75/16, would I be able to still fit the spare under the van? If not, any tire carriers besides aluminess?
Apparently with an RB it won't fit.. but will on an EB. But I can't confirm that, as I've only dealt with this issue on EBs. There's a thread on this somewhere here.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by subluxation View Post
I just did the weldtec baja grocery kit with fox shocks, 6 lift, ext radius arms. Love it. I got fox steering stabilizer to install next. Just bought nfab nerf bars. I have 2wd with bfg ko2 265/75/16 and had slight rub occasionally before. I researched and I have factory lsd with my 2004 E350 v10. It does great in snow and limited off road. I have front hitch and love it. Another cheaper option is add winch to front hitch accessory.
Yeah, I hear nothing but good stuff. Funny, Jeremy just called me and invited me down to check out an SMB he just finished. He knows once he gets you down there he's got you hooked! Ha. Good to know that the 265's just fit...leaning towards that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Apparently with an RB it won't fit.. but will on an EB. But I can't confirm that, as I've only dealt with this issue on EBs. There's a thread on this somewhere here.
Thanks for the input. I may just carry a standard spare and patch kit/compressor, as previously suggested. Hopefully that will work as a short term solution.
Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
Yeah, I hear nothing but good stuff. Funny, Jeremy just called me and invited me down to check out an SMB he just finished. He knows once he gets you down there he's got you hooked! Ha. Good to know that the 265's just fit...leaning towards that for now.
Get out to The dez this weekend or next. Try out your rig in the dirt, test it. The hills are green out there, the ocotillos are full of leaves and everything is about to pop with flowers. This is a unique year for the dez, all the rain out there, once in a decade it happens like this. Enjoy when you can, it's gonna be beautiful for the next month or two.

I was just out in Borrego Valley last weekend to try my new "Complete Performance Package" 6 inch lift from weldtec for the 1st time. My van rides outstanding now. No worries about anything, even an ooops in the whooops is tolerable. Rocks still benefits from airing down a bit to smooth things out, but not as urgent.

A couple of observations after driving ~200 miles on hwy, super twisty country roads and dirt: 1) After the lift the van tracks super straight and solid on the Hwy at speed (got up to 85), 2) There is no extra sway when cornering from the raised center of gravity, 3) No appreciable change in MPG, 4) I feel there is no need right now to add a steering stabilizer, I just don't think I'll bronco my van that hard to feel the need for one. I'm keeping my 265-16 BFG KOs for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20170212_001.jpg  
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Get out to The dez this weekend or next. Try out your rig in the dirt, test it.
Gonna try and take your advice. Found some nice climbing spots in Anza Borrego...gonna take the van on Saturday and do some bouldering if the weather holds out. Fingers crossed. I bought a recovery strap and small compressor since I figured it would be good to have no matter what. Any recommendations on what sort of air pressure to run for those desert roads? Still have the stock 225/75/16.

Also, this will be my first time running on house battery for awhile. I'm hoping to get the solar setup sometime in the next week or so. In the meantime, what kind of average run time can I get? Using occasional lights, maybe the stereo for a bit, and leaving the fridge run overnight. I have the 4D battery under the body.

Quote:
A couple of observations after driving ~200 miles on hwy, super twisty country roads and dirt: 1) After the lift the van tracks super straight and solid on the Hwy at speed (got up to 85), 2) There is no extra sway when cornering from the raised center of gravity, 3) No appreciable change in MPG, 4) I feel there is no need right now to add a steering stabilizer, I just don't think I'll bronco my van that hard to feel the need for one.
That's amazing. Like I said, I've heard nothing but good things. Definitely on the radar for future upgrades. But like everyone's suggested, need to get out there and use it for a while first!

Quote:
I'm keeping my 265-16 BFG KOs for a while.
Let me know if you decide to upgrade to bigger wheels/tires at any point. Pretty set on making that upgrade sometime in the next few months.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #27

So I just noticed that my CO monitor CC says replace by February 2007 (just a bit past expiration!).

I figured I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a 2 in 1 CO and LP monitor. I don't have propane on board, but I'm planning on occasionally carrying a couple of the 1 lb tanks on a rear rack and using a mr. buddy heater (not while sleeping) just to warm things up a bit every now and then.

I found this monitor and was wondering if anyone had any experience.
SAFE-T-ALERT CO/LP Gas Alarm Black - $63.23

It looks like it's the exact same size, so should be an easy swap. If you have any other monitors to suggest, feel free.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #28

I'm in Hunt. Bch. so Camburg was my choice for a 2wd lift. Not sure lift height but around 4". I'm running 255-85-16 BFG KM2s with no rubbing. A true 33' tire, it says 33.2" on their website. I feel pretty good about my ground clearance for a 2wd and I'm ok with power and gearing due to a 6.0L and 4:10 LSD.
Attached Thumbnails
KM2-1.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmarcus View Post
I'm in Hunt. Bch. so Camburg was my choice for a 2wd lift. Not sure lift height but around 4". I'm running 255-85-16 BFG KM2s with no rubbing. A true 33' tire, it says 33.2" on their website. I feel pretty good about my ground clearance for a 2wd and I'm ok with power and gearing due to a 6.0L and 4:10 LSD.
The spare 255-85-16 fits in the stock location as well