Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

My Bike Rack Solution

There have been many different solutions to transporting mountain bikes that have been used by Forum members. Way back when, I thought I had the great solution when I had Aluminess build a new swing arm for me that would allow fork mounted bike rack trays be attached. It didn't impact departure angle of the van, got the bikes up and out of the way, were lower than having them on the roof and were attached to the swing arm so I could still access the rear of the van easily.

This has served me well for many years, but not without a few drawbacks. The handlebars of the bikes were above the van roofline and subject to getting caught on branches.

Remember when I did this? Ouch!

I also don't like fork mount racks as it can be tough on the fork drop outs especially on washboard roads. Additionally, I plan to go to through axles on my bike, so I need a rack that keeps the wheels attached.

I came across a home brew van about a year ago were the owner had adapted a 1upUSA bike rack to the tire side swing arm of his Aluminess bumper. He raved about the rack, but the adaptation to the standard Aluminess swing arm was iffy at best.

I researched the 1upUSA racks more and after having one for a while (have just been putting it in the standard hitch receiver for local use), I think it is the ONLY rack for those of us to use for off-road transportation of our mountain bikes. It is an absolute rock solid rack.

I absolutely needed it on a swing arm for real trips though. After a lot of pondering, I went and visited the guys at Any 7 Off-Road in San Leandro, CA. I gave them my ideas and they voiced theirs. I dropped the van off last Saturday and a week later, I have my solution.

Without the bike rack attached:

With bike rack attached:

With bike rack folded up:

Loaded (before I painted the new swing arm though):

And the guys at Any7 decided they would cut their logo in. Never thought I'd have a naked lady mudflap image anywhere on my van. My wife was so impressed ...

The latch mechanism uses the now "spare" tab that was the middle pivot of the old bike rack swing arm.

I can now check that project off my list (except I need to buy one or two add-ons for the 1upUSA bike rack so I can carry up to 3 or 4 bikes).

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #2

Re: My Bike Rack Solution

That turned out super sweet! I've got a similar addition that I'm going to put on my swing away to attach my hitch mount / wheels on rack as well. Will extra bikes put too much undo stress on things? Probably not the way it is built.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #3

WOW Phil, that's impressive. Is that all done in aluminum or steel? I hope you don't mind me asking but what did that set you back?
My home built swing away bike rack (utilizing a Sportsworks rack) just failed on me after 6 years and a lot of trips. Maybe a whole new approach is in order.

John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #4

Thanks guys.

Rockbender - Not sure if more bikes will stress it too much. I guess I'll find out. I've only taken it down the freeway once with the two bikes so far (just picked it up Saturday). Not quite Saline Valley Rd.!

John - It's steel, but feels like it weighs about as much as the big aluminum swing arm I used for the bikes before. I didn't weigh it, but after carrying both around a little, felt roughly the same. You can PM me about price if you'd like, but I'd feel more comfortable if you call the guys at Any 7 if you are interested. A Google search will take you right to them.

Thanks,
Phil

Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #5

Wow, that's an awesome solution and way to think outside the box. It does seem like a lot of weight on the swingarm with a 35" spare but it certainly looks beefy. The weak link is probably the strap to the door hinge?

Anyhow, I can vouch for the 1Up rack. Excellent quality and I really like the way it holds the bike. Just for comparison for those that are rack shopping attached are some examples of my rack with the 1UpUSA. The tradeoff is bikes up high and subject to tree branches and such (but further away from road dust) or extended further out the back from the rig (easier to get on and off). Either way, it sure is nice to have them on a swing-away and not have to take the bikes off when in camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Beast5.jpg   Beast4.jpg   Beast2.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #6

That's a really sweet setup. I really like the attention to detail. The bike rack is neat too, I was talking about the naked lady mudflap image.

No, really, very nice all around.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

Garage

both the above setups are very badass! super clean installs. both are well thoughtout and look great. love the ability to swing away. some smart cookies round here i tells ya

we just made a 12 spot snowboard rack/multi-cooler holder and it was cake all the way around, both price and execution, but still trying to figure out a quick and easy method for mt bikes where wheels dont need to be removed. appreciate the ideas gents!!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Anyhow, I can vouch for the 1Up rack. Excellent quality and I really like the way it holds the bike. Just for comparison for those that are rack shopping attached are some examples of my rack with the 1UpUSA. The tradeoff is bikes up high and subject to tree branches and such (but further away from road dust) or extended further out the back from the rig (easier to get on and off). Either way, it sure is nice to have them on a swing-away and not have to take the bikes off when in camp.
Joe, I had thought of going your route and putting the 1upUSA racks on the existing bike swing arm I had, but just didn't want them sitting up that high. I often find myself in a lot of trees. I do like your bikes (especially that nice blue ibis)! I also cannot say enough good things about the 1upUSA rack. It's a work of art and very solid.

Quote:
It does seem like a lot of weight on the swingarm with a 35" spare but it certainly looks beefy. The weak link is probably the strap to the door hinge?
Yeah, it is a lot of weight. It's mostly the lever arm of the bike rack with bikes attached. Getting into some good washboard roads will be the test there. When it's closed and latched, it really is solid. When you swing it open, that's when it really stresses parts. The way it is designed, the roughly 100lb tire / wheel would tend to want to twist it inward and the bike rack would tend to want to twist it outward. So a balance? Don't know that is sound logic, but better than having all the weight on one side of the swing arm.

Regardless, I'll report back after my annual May "guys trip" where I tend to stress every part of the vehicle (and my body).

Phil

Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

....and how did it work on the "all guys trip"?

I currently do not have the rear aluminess bumper and am contemplating the plunge. I like the standby bike rack solution over the rear box and tire but always interested to see how new concepts play out.
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

Hey Catmandu -

The swing arm and 1upUSA rack held up well. We did a lot of 4wheeling in a lot of foliage and a few steep angles. I like that the bikes are below the roof line while driving in the trees and high enough that I can burry the trailer hitch in the dirt, but the bikes & rack don't make contact.

I absolutely love the 1upUSA rack and highly recommend it for hauling mtn bikes while off-roading. Very quick on / off and very stable.

We only ended up taking two bikes. For the type of 4wheeling we were doing, not sure I'd want to go to four, but three would probably be OK.

The trailer hitch is buried in this picture due to the steepness of the snow bank, but bikes & rack look to be about a foot off the ground still.

This gives you an idea of the angle of the van. Had to winch ourselves over this snow drift.

I think I'm ready to let the old aluminum swing arm go if someone wants it. At this time I don't see going back to it. It's certainly well used, but still functional. Here's a picture of it in use a few years ago.

Will try to put together a trip report when I have time and get all the photos organized. It was a great trip full of adventure. We were certainly the first through many trails this season. A lot of winch use and a lot of dragging downed trees off the trail.

Phil