Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #11

Garage
Re: My project, for advises and comments: 1) Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Any pictures of that vehicle your dad built? Didn't see anything like that on you web site.
No, my website is just a small gallery of my pictures I shooted... I guess I should have some pictures in old travel books he made but they are somewhere in a box in the basement and I do not know exactly where. If I find them, I will post some here...

Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I would not go older than an '06 with the Ford diesel. Prior ones had not worked out many of the major mechanical bugs.

That said.... the newer ones are not trouble-free either. Since you will be traveling away from Ford-PowerStroke dealer, I highly recommend some upgrades first:

1) Coolant Filter kit with changeover to CAT/Cummins ELC coolant.
2) BulletProof Engine Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler
3) BulletProof FICM power supply
4) Revised Turbo drain line (Ford)
5) Latest Ford FICM reflash
6) Ford "blue-spring" fuel regulator spring upgrade
7) If anything but a new van, send the turbo to Bell Turbo to rebuild the VGT section with their improved clearancing to prevent sticking (even with all the other upgrades, it can still be fouled by a tank of low quality fuel).
8) Dedicated gauges to monitor supply fuel pressure and FICM voltage.

And carry a spare EGR valve and several sets of Ford MotorCraft Oil and Fuel Filters.

If you do find a nice pre-'08 van without 4x4, you can still have it converted at QuadVan or U-Joint Off-road.

Carringb- great information. I currently have a 7.3 but if i don't keep it would have to move into a a 6.0- May I ask in round figures $$ what all this stuff might set one back in preventive work if one has to have a shop to it. Just a figure to put in the back of my mind....thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #13

Coolant Filter kit runs ~$150. It can be DIY, but doing a proper cooling system flush takes some time. You can buy a coolant filter and mount from NAPA for half that, but you will have to make your own bracket, and it won't look as nice as the Sinister filter kit.

The big $ upgrade is the BulletProof EGR and Engine oil coolers. The package deal is $2200 for the parts ($1900 for just the oil cooler). Standards labor for stock parts is 7.0 hours, plus an extra 0.5-1.0 hours to mount the new hardware. The good news is this includes removing the turbo, so that's the ideal time to rebuild it, and add the updated Ford bits. Having Bell turbo work their magik will be ~$800. They are usually booked out a few weeks though. I suspect there are others who do better-than-Ford rebuilds, but i work with Bell, and they do great work so I haven't even looked at other options (plus, Bell is only 5 miles from my shop).

The BulletProof FICM is $500. When the other stuff is out is the best time to do it on a pickup. But on the vans it's not as big of a deal. The BulletProof FICM upgrade does not require the FICM to be flashed, but all 6.0s need a recent flash anyways to get the goodies like inductive injector heating.

The "blue-Spring" regulator upgrade is something like $70-$90. I don't remember for sure. It takes about 30 minutes, mostly because the bolts are teeny tiny.

Easiest way to add gauges is a Scan-Gauge, which runs $170. But.... It won't do supply fuel pressure. That requires an analog gauge. Figure ~$200 for a decent gauge (I like VDO and AutoMeter) and a gauge pod. A few extra fittings will be needed to make it work with the test port, which is metric so the correct fitting is hard to find (M10 if i remember right). The only other make who uses that size fittings is VW. Adding a gauge will take 1-2 hours depending on familiarity.

So botton line is it can run $5,000+ to do it right. And that doesn't even include ARP head studs if extra boost is intended for the rig (I have not seen any head problems on stock rigs, unless proceeded by an EGR cooler failure). But once that stuff is done, it'll be decently reliable (assuming the injectors and HPOP weren't previously damaged), and you'll already have a much better transmission. And.... you can get some smoking deals on 6.0's now, so add the upgrades into the purchase price, it still comes out ok in the end.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #14

PS - I noticed Chris is now selling many of those upgrades at U-joint Offroad. Might not hurt to check him out for more details.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Coolant Filter kit runs ~$150. It can be DIY, but doing a proper cooling system flush takes some time. You can buy a coolant filter and mount from NAPA for half that, but you will have to make your own bracket, and it won't look as nice as the Sinister filter kit.

The big $ upgrade is the BulletProof EGR and Engine oil coolers. The package deal is $2200 for the parts ($1900 for just the oil cooler). Standards labor for stock parts is 7.0 hours, plus an extra 0.5-1.0 hours to mount the new hardware. The good news is this includes removing the turbo, so that's the ideal time to rebuild it, and add the updated Ford bits. Having Bell turbo work their magik will be ~$800. They are usually booked out a few weeks though. I suspect there are others who do better-than-Ford rebuilds, but i work with Bell, and they do great work so I haven't even looked at other options (plus, Bell is only 5 miles from my shop).

The BulletProof FICM is $500. When the other stuff is out is the best time to do it on a pickup. But on the vans it's not as big of a deal. The BulletProof FICM upgrade does not require the FICM to be flashed, but all 6.0s need a recent flash anyways to get the goodies like inductive injector heating.

The "blue-Spring" regulator upgrade is something like $70-$90. I don't remember for sure. It takes about 30 minutes, mostly because the bolts are teeny tiny.

Easiest way to add gauges is a Scan-Gauge, which runs $170. But.... It won't do supply fuel pressure. That requires an analog gauge. Figure ~$200 for a decent gauge (I like VDO and AutoMeter) and a gauge pod. A few extra fittings will be needed to make it work with the test port, which is metric so the correct fitting is hard to find (M10 if i remember right). The only other make who uses that size fittings is VW. Adding a gauge will take 1-2 hours depending on familiarity.

So botton line is it can run $5,000+ to do it right. And that doesn't even include ARP head studs if extra boost is intended for the rig (I have not seen any head problems on stock rigs, unless proceeded by an EGR cooler failure). But once that stuff is done, it'll be decently reliable (assuming the injectors and HPOP weren't previously damaged), and you'll already have a much better transmission. And.... you can get some smoking deals on 6.0's now, so add the upgrades into the purchase price, it still comes out ok in the end.

Great info. I do look forward to doing this once my warranty is up. It seems I get more sutdowns from failed sensors...any solutions for that??? It's bitter sweet, "your engine is fine, just a failed XXXX sensor. Sorry the tow cost you 2000 bucks out of the backcountry".

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #16

Garage

Thanks for the great presicion carringb !
Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #17

Garage

It's time for me to update this thread since my project is on the right way.

After quite a bit of research, I finally found a nice 2010 Ford E-350 Extended 6.0L Powerstroke with about 100'000 mileage. I named it VivaLaVida !
Here the van when purchased:

• [list:28p3u9wk]
[/list:u:28p3u9wk]

I opted for an U-Joint conversion with several goodies : front Dana 60 axle with large brake rotors, rear Sterling 10.5 axle, lockers on front and rear axle, Atlas II t-case, two aluminum diesel tanks (39 + 25 gallons), a tewlve ton winch, on board air, rear under storage, etc. Also a full engine upgrade to improve reliability.
Below a picture of the van last week when outgoing of Chris's workshop with its new paint.

• [list:28p3u9wk]
[/list:u:28p3u9wk]

Will still install a made to measure rack with three swivel solar panels and a modified Aluminess front bumper.

Next week the van will drive to Morehead Design Lab. Robert will start to build the interior. I did the drawing which is a modified EB50 floor plan. All appliances will run with diesel (heaters, stove...) and be installed in the van, since I will travel in cold areas. Next steps will be installation of windows and air vent before to completely insulate the van...

I'm really excited by the project. Should be done in early September if all goes as planned...

To be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
130619_2b.jpg   107648815_2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #18

Re: My project : VivaLaVida !

Looking Good! Do you have to limit your tire size because of Ford's RSC or did the 2010 vans escape that restriction?
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #19

Garage

Thanks Bratworst. OE wheels are 16'' but we had to mount 17'' wheels with upgraded brake rotors. There is no RSC on diesel version, so nothing to take care of.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #20

The paint looks fantastic....

May I ask who did the paint job? and how much does something like that run.

I have the penthouse top and not the big one like you sport but would like to paint
my white one to another color.

Mine is at Ujoint now getting a bunch of stuff done and figured you may have had it painted
while out that way.....

Just a ball park would be nice as I would only paint the exterior at this point due to funds
being needed for other stuff.....
thanks