Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

Re: My solar installation project...

Yep, each panel has six grommets. Should be pretty solid with those and velcro all the way around.

Got it all mocked up and traced out. Now I just wait for the big brown truck to arrive tomorrow.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:54 AM   #12

20 feet of 2" Velcro arrived today...

Gotta get up early tomorrow and drop the van off for two new front tires then rush home and wait for UPS all day.

Time is ticking.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #13

.[/quote] Or you could cancel your camping trip and give me a hand [quote="LenS"]

That's what good friends do right?

As for the use of 5200, make sure you NEVER want to remove anything mounted with that stuff. It might just be the strongest adhesive on the planet. It's great stuff in the right application but will make a grown man break down in tears if you have to remove it.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
Or you could cancel your camping trip and give me a hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS

That's what good friends do right?

As for the use of 5200, make sure you NEVER want to remove anything mounted with that stuff. It might just be the strongest adhesive on the planet. It's great stuff in the right application but will make a grown man break down in tears if you have to remove it.
Exactly. That's what a good friend would do. I see how it is now.

Hmm, I might want to remove these panels and move them to a new van...you know, if I win the lottery or something. Maybe I should exchange it for the 4200 or something else? Usually when they say "permanent" they don't really mean it.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #15

5200 is super strong messy stuff. It holds like crazy. I cannot even imagine a flexible solar panel being usable after removal if 5200 was used to bond it to the roof. Just a a very, very, very thin bead would be enough.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

About the only way to remove anything mounted with 5200 is to heat up a putty knife red hot with a torch and then burn / melt your way through it. There is a solvent that will soften it, but it's impossible to find, very expensive and it takes a lot to do a small area. 4200 has less grip, but will still be hard to remove. I would consider using buytl rubber to seal the bolts. It is very sticky, flexible, does not harden, and is easy to clean up. Find it at just about any RV supply.
Advanced 4wd
Old 05-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #17

Alright, now we're getting somewhere! Puppy tried to chew on one of the panel connectors - almost had to put him down.

Quote:
About the only way to remove anything mounted with 5200 is to heat up a putty knife red hot with a torch and then burn / melt your way through it. There is a solvent that will soften it, but it's impossible to find, very expensive and it takes a lot to do a small area. 4200 has less grip, but will still be hard to remove. I would consider using buytl rubber to seal the bolts. It is very sticky, flexible, does not harden, and is easy to clean up. Find it at just about any RV supply.
Shoot. Closest RV place is over an hour away. I think rallypanam said he might have some so I'm looking in to that.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #18

Closest RV place is over an hour away. I think rallypanam said he might have some so I'm looking in to that.

It's often times used to seal camper shells, roof flashing and vents, automotive and home window glass etc. You could check Lowe's, Home depo, anywhere that sells pickup truck accessorys, installs glass, or here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-PTI-Butyl-Ru ... B001G0W31C
Advanced 4wd
Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Closest RV place is over an hour away. I think rallypanam said he might have some so I'm looking in to that.

It's often times used to seal camper shells, roof flashing and vents, automotive and home window glass etc. You could check Lowe's, Home depo, anywhere that sells pickup truck accessorys, installs glass, or here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-PTI-Butyl-Ru ... B001G0W31C
Thanks Jeff. Not finding much in stock at my local HD or Lowes. Got a hold of Robb and he said he might have some so I'll swing by there tomorrow and see. If not, I've got a local truck accessory place I can check. Still hoping to lay the panels tomorrow. Waiting on one more delivery from UPS today.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #20

It doesn't' bode well that the velcro has a big picture of a fire extinguisher on it. What gives?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote