Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

Need a recomendation on a new radiator.

After sitting since March and replacing pretty much everything in the back of the van including the differential, springs, shocks, brakes, cables etc, when i got back from the first test drive I discovered a puddle of coolant under the van. Not that I have run out of projects, but this one has quickly made its way to the top of the new list. It turns out the radiators plastic top tank got tired of keeping the coolant on the inside, so it wants to retire. I've never overheated, but if there is a reasonable upgrade out there, I figure why not. Summit has 10 different ones listed, priced from $99 to over $300 for a Motorcraft. Every description says they are aluminum and plastic, but the Motorcraft has no materials listed. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? Copper? More rows of cores? Anything else? Thanks ...................
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1184.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #2

Garage
When I replaced my engine 5 years ago, I had a full aluminum radiator installed with the 6.0 (along with many other items) simply because the amount of comments such as yours (plastic fatigue).
Unfortunately I don't recall who I sourced it from, and it must be the only receipt I didnt save (just checked in hopes to provide you with a name, but could only find the Ford Dealer invoice showing "New Radiator install"). I'm almost sure if I didnt purchase it from BBD, then they more than likely pointed me in the right direction.
I did find these guys about 3 weeks ago - Griffin Custom Radiators - haven't reached out yet since I planned on becoming active with that project towards the end of the year. My thought was to see if they could fabricate one that actually had more capacity than the OEM and yet still fit without too much modification).
Not the definitive reply you were looking for unfortunately, But if you decide to follow up with them, please post their response - I'd be curious if can actually be done.
https://www.griffinrad.com/page2.php...2006+ford+e350
Old 08-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

I would recommend a TYC or CSF radiator from Rock Auto.

Motorcraft is aluminum and plastic just the same and costs twice as much.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I would recommend a TYC or CSF radiator from Rock Auto.

Motorcraft is aluminum and plastic just the same and costs twice as much.
I'd also recommend either new Ford parts despite their cost---they're just made better than most any aftermarket/imported. Additionally I'd not buy from RockAuto as they're just too inconvenient should something go wrong during whatever warranty's in effect or they send you the wrong part.

TYC is a good brand in the aftermarket but I'd search locally for a brand with decent warranty. OR haunt eBay for a Motorcraft part for something more fairly priced than the dealer.

Most radiators these days are aluminum and plastic, most are long lasting as long as they're assembled with a bit of care.

Most radiators tend to be hit or miss regarding quality, even Motorcraft or Ford sad to say. Custom built should be better but how much of a hassle to receive warranty support should that be necessary?

Cheap and decent quality parts can be had from Advance Auto, AutoZone etc etc---most have decent enough warranties too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

performance radiator

I've been looking for an all aluminum radiator as well. People on this site have recommended PerformanceRadiator. I just looked and they still have a all aluminium one for the 6.0. It's still less expensive than the Ford OEM. Part number 2596
whatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatpants View Post
I've been looking for an all aluminum radiator as well. People on this site have recommended PerformanceRadiator. I just looked and they still have a all aluminium one for the 6.0. It's still less expensive than the Ford OEM. Part number 2596
Found one. Thanks so much for the recommendation. They have a welded all aluminum, direct replacement, limited lifetime warranty model, it's just what I have been looking for. On top of that, there's free shipping and they are located very close to me. That's amazing. No more plastic tanks for me.

https://shop.performanceradiator.com...roduct_id=5235
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Good to keep in mind - looks like the part fits both 5.4L and 6.8L
Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #8

Performance Radiator makes a great product and good customer service. Also there actual radiator shop(build and warranty) is Tacoma so I try to support local business.

I have the all aluminum and have been happy with it.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #9

Another vote here for Performance. I've purchased 3 replacement radiators (different vehicles) from them over the years and have always been satisfied with the service and the quality. The ones I've gotten are at least OEM quality if not better. Also, the one here in Phoenix has a quality rebuild shop (obviously they don't fix plastic tanks, but they've always been able to rebuild any I've taken to them that were all metal)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Prices I'm seeing on their site are pretty damned good---free shipping too.

Great find, thanks for sharing!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote