Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Need Help with ideas for Econoline Partition door/window

Hello everyone.

We bought a 01 E350 that was professional built for Moto. We use it for Moto here and there but mostly use the rig for the beach and camping and looking to install some time of large window or door in order to access the rear of the van from the front. We like the idea of keeping the partition but I will be taking down the cabinet thats shown in the photos.

So far ive looked at a Truck Bed Cover fold down window. Thats about all ive found that would work and reseal.

LMK your thoughts !

[IMG]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAK-OckQSQUXs9RDJug5NItzCz2DA0Jc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H-E...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b5IbV7Kk_94njfg3KgZQ_-TlI0Cxk0je/view?usp=sharing[/IMG]

w8keluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #2

If you haven't had a van before that you can walk around in, move front to back in without getting out, you'll love it. It's what calls a lot of us to vans rather than truck campers, etc. I would consider ditching the wall completely. You can still tether your bikes when you need to.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #3

Yeah that has been discussed. We like the idea of keeping it if we can. Just need to sort out some type of window or door to climb thru as we have a sleeper bench sofa in the cab of the van that folds down acting as the "sleeping area."
Old 03-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

A friend of mine had his motovan setup similar to yours when he bought it. After 1 camping trip, he too decided he needed access from front to back, from the inside. His had a sofa bed against the partition on the cab side, so he cut the partition just below the top of the sofa (while in the upright position) and made the top half of the partition hinge down into the garage side. I don't remember what he used for latches.

After 1 or 2 more camping trips (with wife, son, and 2 motorcycles) he decided to ditch the partition altogether and started "building out" his newfound blank canvas. He'd still haul the motos inside... until he built his bed platform. He started hauling his son's mini inside (loaded through the side door) and his own bike on a hitch rack. He said he finds the van much more comfortable and convenient for day to day use that way.

In my own 15 passenger van, I have a removable moto rack (made by "Rack-it", now under the name of "Beast Racks") behind row 2 1/2 and no partition at all. This allows me to haul 3 full size motos (and gear) inside, along with 1 on the hitch rack, while still having 4 bucket seats (with the 2nd row moved back by 1/2 a row allowing even me, at 6'5", to be able to stretch out.) 4 people. 4 bikes. No trailer. I can either step over the rack through the center aisle, or loosen 2 knobs and the whole rack comes out. I obviously don't have a dedicated bed with this setup, but my family of 4 (plus dog) has slept inside on many trips without complaints. I guess it really depends on your expectations of amenities.

A note about the partition: many people say that the fuel vapor smell is too much without a partition. I know I can smell it if my van has been parked (even if just for a lunch stop) but so long as we're in motion, it seems to be enough airflow to keep the fumes at bay. I noticed exactly the same thing in my buddy's van when he still had the partition. It seems to me that you either need a partition that is truly sealed in (not just screwed and carpeted), along with a roof vent for the garage area, or it's not worth bothering with it at all. I realize that there's climate control benefits too, but those don't apply to mine since I have rear heat/ AC. Unless you've got a bunch of loose, rattly stuff back there that you don't want to hear (which should be tied down anyway), I'd suggest trying a layout that doesn't have a partition.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

They make partitions with doors too, and some are full ABS to block any smells.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
A friend of mine had his motovan setup similar to yours when he bought it. After 1 camping trip, he too decided he needed access from front to back, from the inside. His had a sofa bed against the partition on the cab side, so he cut the partition just below the top of the sofa (while in the upright position) and made the top half of the partition hinge down into the garage side. I don't remember what he used for latches.

After 1 or 2 more camping trips (with wife, son, and 2 motorcycles) he decided to ditch the partition altogether and started "building out" his newfound blank canvas. He'd still haul the motos inside... until he built his bed platform. He started hauling his son's mini inside (loaded through the side door) and his own bike on a hitch rack. He said he finds the van much more comfortable and convenient for day to day use that way.

In my own 15 passenger van, I have a removable moto rack (made by "Rack-it", now under the name of "Beast Racks") behind row 2 1/2 and no partition at all. This allows me to haul 3 full size motos (and gear) inside, along with 1 on the hitch rack, while still having 4 bucket seats (with the 2nd row moved back by 1/2 a row allowing even me, at 6'5", to be able to stretch out.) 4 people. 4 bikes. No trailer. I can either step over the rack through the center aisle, or loosen 2 knobs and the whole rack comes out. I obviously don't have a dedicated bed with this setup, but my family of 4 (plus dog) has slept inside on many trips without complaints. I guess it really depends on your expectations of amenities.

A note about the partition: many people say that the fuel vapor smell is too much without a partition. I know I can smell it if my van has been parked (even if just for a lunch stop) but so long as we're in motion, it seems to be enough airflow to keep the fumes at bay. I noticed exactly the same thing in my buddy's van when he still had the partition. It seems to me that you either need a partition that is truly sealed in (not just screwed and carpeted), along with a roof vent for the garage area, or it's not worth bothering with it at all. I realize that there's climate control benefits too, but those don't apply to mine since I have rear heat/ AC. Unless you've got a bunch of loose, rattly stuff back there that you don't want to hear (which should be tied down anyway), I'd suggest trying a layout that doesn't have a partition.
Greatly appreciate your comments. This is helpful. Ours is welded into place with square tubing. It was professional altered and also includes seatbelt attachments for the rear bench seat. We still may look into getting rid of the partition then we could move the sofa bed back some.