Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #1

nerf bars vs large hoops

I was wondering if anyone knows the brand that SMB factory in fresno has put on the last couple of years. the full length black with ridges that look like running boards,or could be called nerf bars

vtarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #2

Nerfboard

The nerfboard SMB uses can be viewed at; http://www.atsdesign.com/prod.rb.theedge
They use the black powder coated series. The nerfboard can be cut to fit if you order one too long, the end caps fit at both ends of the board.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #3

John , hey thanks alot I'll check out the web site and then mAybe I can decide, user friendly/ costs etc. Thanks again john. anyone have any preference of the 2?
vtarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
BC

I've had some clearance issues with the hoop steps while 4-wheeling, would be worse with the longer nerf bars imo. Bent the step up pretty good one day and almost considered removing the others for part of this run we were doing over the rocks. I'm glad they were hoop steps vs the bar tho because would be a big pain and probably costlier to replace that entire bar if it got damaged. Other than that, its a mattter of preference but still prefer the steps over bar.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #5

Vtarider, FYI I wouldn't necessarily call them nerf bars they are more like running boards as they are hollow on the bottom. The problem that I had with them is that they are connected at the height of the door sill. I have 315's on my SMB and that made for a pretty athletic entry / exit. The other problem was that they only had about 3" of stepping surface. If finances are a concern I'd get the hoop steps. Otherwise, I'd go with the powerstep option, which is what I have on my rig.
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC
I've had some clearance issues with the hoop steps while 4-wheeling, would be worse with the longer nerf bars imo. Bent the step up pretty good one day and almost considered removing the others for part of this run we were doing over the rocks. I'm glad they were hoop steps vs the bar tho because would be a big pain and probably costlier to replace that entire bar if it got damaged. Other than that, its a mattter of preference but still prefer the steps over bar.
I know the steps don't protect the side of the van, but do you feel like if you hadn't crushed the step you would have possibly gone on to do damage to the van body? I see them as an early warning system of sorts... not that I wouldn't trade for real protection but how beefy would rock rails have to be to support the van weight?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #7

Nerfboards

The hoop steps are cast aluminum and can shatter when impacted. For those who were at the SMB Rally in Gorman a couple years ago, you'll remember that many hoop steps were shattered on the "ledges" we were driving up. They do give a better entry step because of how far down they extend, but you have to be careful with children and pets using them because they have an open back and legs or feet can slip through. (This was a problem with the nerfbars SMB use to install)

While the nerfboard doesn't provide as deep or as low of a step, it does give your rocker panel protection from mud, rocks, etc...thrown up by the front tires, a full length step if you want to reach something from the roof rack, and some early warning protection as Jage has pointed out. They are made out of extruded aluminum so they won't shatter like the hoop steps.

The electric boards are nice as Armlock has mentioned. They still have the open back, and if you do happen to damage them, be ready to fork out a lot for replacement parts. SMB use to charge $2,300 for the pair installed, not sure what they charge now.

I mention the open back as a safety issue because my Beagle almost broke both of his hind legs years ago trying to step/jump out of my Jeep with nerf bars. I can see one of my kids having the same potential accident if I still had it.

Not to sound opinionated, but it's hard to beat the nerboard for all the features/benefits they provide.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtarider
John , hey thanks alot I'll check out the web site and then mAybe I can decide, user friendly/ costs etc. Thanks again john. anyone have any preference of the 2?
Hey vtarider, let me know if you want to check out the nerf boards on my SMB sometime. Just shoot me a message, e-mail,...

Herb
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #9

Garage
Steps and 'nerfs".

Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #10

I modified my hoop steps so they can swing up if they contact anything, or they can be swung up ahead of time.

As delivered, they have two bolts to hold then in place. I moved the upper bolt to a hole (multiple holes for adjustment) above the top of the hoop mount. The lower bolt was then a pivot for the step and the upper bolt is a stop, so the step won't go any lower. Tighten the lower bolt tight enough that the step will stay where it is put, but can still be moved by hand and away you go.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote