Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

New 1996 E250 Project

Recently purchased, so looking to start building and improving, at least in small ways, right away.

The rear just has thin carpet, so I ordered a commercial rubber mat which will help with me loading parts in and out, and cleaning it off, as well as if stuff is muddy or snowy (dirt bikes, snow boarding, etc).

I also just ordered some wheels and 285/75R16 tires, slightly taller and wider, so might have to lengthen the slider door hinge right away. We'll see.

The front speakers built into the door panels work really well, and the head unit seems decent, but the rear door speakers are factory - ordered aftermarket replacements, and will likely mount a powered sub (small, nothing crazy) under the drivers seat or mounted to the wall area behind the driver.

It already has some removable motorcycle tie downs in the four corners of the cargo area, but I think I may put threaded inserts in the floor for a chock or two. Also some additional tie downs higher up. Sometimes I carry weird loads of car parts.

I also want an awning, and would love to bolt it to the ladder rack, but it's a little taller and bigger than I want, so I might do a different roof rack and platform. We'll see. (Rubbing hands together)

greggearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Nice looking rig. I especially like the winch when installed behind/in the stock front bumper. Can you provid more Photos of the winch mount? Have never seen one like that.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #3

Garage
Looks good! Who did the conversion? Hopefully you won't have to do the slider modification! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

Thanks - I'll try to get some pics of the winch setup. The stock bumper is spaced out, and treadplate steel used to fill the gap. Makes a nice platform to wash the windshield, etc.

It's a Salem Kroger van - one of 20 built for Oregon Lottery. It's had longer leaf springs installed, but still a little bouncy. I'll drive it this way for a year and decide if I want to do a coil spring swap.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Garage
That's pretty cool, I didn't realize the oregon lottery needed vans ha ha.

As far as swapping its a lot of work but I'm happy I did. Really just all of the weld cutting and grinding gets old fast.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Its a funny story I just learned. The PO thought it was a state patrol van to haul scales, but it was really clean, and then I heard from a guy that knew the whole story and has owned several.

Saddest/funniest part - they had 20 made to haul lottery machines around, and only after they were all built did they realize that the machines wouldn't fit, so the vans just sat around for about 5 yrs. Complete waste of tax money.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #7

Nice looking van!
I also have a Salem Kroger conversion.
If you get back out there with the camera for winch shots can you get some of the converted conversion?! I'm curious to see how they changed it. Longer springs you said. How many leafs? Did they move the shackles to the rear?

Have fun with the project!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Sure - they are just a little bit longer, shackle still in front. The alignment the PO had done, shows negative caster, which I don't like, so I might move the shackles to the rear and get some more caster, at the expense of pinion angle of course. We'll see. I've heard not to mess with it unless I want to switch to coil springs, we'll see.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #9

Well, I'm starting pretty small. I got a new OE style grille in, with chrome and grey. Blech. So I bedlined it. Looks a lot better, without screaming "I changed the color of my grille!"

I also got some new tires in. It had D-load range All Terrains in 265/75R16, and I just received E-load range 287/75R16. Hope they don't rub. New wheels should get here Tuesday.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #10

Garage
Nice, those tires will look good.

Thats so funny about the back story, its a shame but their mistake means you got a sweet van! ha ha

That grill also looks way better.