Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

New Aluminess bumper, and there is a problem....

Hello all. Well I finally received my rear Aluminess bumper from John at QuadVan Northwest around the first of July. Initially there were some problems communicating with him, it turns out that emails were getting lost in the ether. But we got past that and it turns our he is a great person to do business with.

First camping trip with the bumper was at Taylor and Irish Lakes, sandwiched in between Waldo Lake Wilderness and Three Sisters Wilderness. We we arrived I noticed that the bolt on the driver side door hinge that stabilizes the main tire swing post, had worked it self out.

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Well it was annoying but I would just remember to check it every once in a while and make sure to tighten the bolts when needed. Fast forward to last week, took an extended trip to Snow Mountain in the Ochoco National Forrest. My wife drove the "Big Van" out a day before me the six hour trip included a little wash board roads the last dozen miles. In all fairness to her it wasn't even on her radar to check the bolts. Well the driver side was missing and passenger started working its way out.

When leaving we decide to go through Burns, Oregon to the Big-R and grab a new bolt. So here is my problem, the new bolt did not fit, my guess is that when the original bolt was working its way out it messed up the threads. It was 103 degrees in Burns and getting hotter, I had a 2.5 year old daughter, pregnant wife, and two dogs getting way to hot. So after messing with the bolt for way to long, I strong armed it and made it work until we could get home.

Could I use a simple Tap & Dye set to address this issue myself? Or should I be looking to Aluminess or QuadVan Northwest for a fix?

TLR New Aluminess rear bumper bolt that attaches to tire swing arm post worked its way loose now the threads are jacked up. What should I do?

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: New Aluminess bumper, and there is a problem....

Fix it yourself - you will be happier with the results!

Drill - Tap... I'd go up a size. Put some Thread Locker on it.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Team

If you're close to QuadVan, I'd start there. While I agree with Baja that you will (might) be happier with the results, if there are additional issues down the line, it's better to get them documented now. Plus, if there was a workmanship or install issue, Aluminess and/or QuadVan should be aware of the issue so they can address it for yourself and other customers down the line.

Herb
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
If you're close to QuadVan, I'd start there. While I agree with Baja that you will (might) be happier with the results, if there are additional issues down the line, it's better to get them documented now. Plus, if there was a workmanship or install issue, Aluminess and/or QuadVan should be aware of the issue so they can address it for yourself and other customers down the line.

Herb
The instructions specify thread locker on those bolts - therefore a QuadVan issue.

While we're looking there, those metal straps are a different length between EB and RB due to the different curve/angle of the rear doors. This is just an FYI, your strap is probably the right length (if the holes line up).

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #5

Sent an email to both Aluminess and QuadVan right after I posted this, and immediately got a response from both of them.

Aluminess suggested chasing the threads with a 3/8-16 Tap, instead of drilling it out, then use lock-tite on the bolt. And we could even add an extra washer beneath the strap bring it up to level with the door pin.

John at QuadVan is defiantly interested in making things right, he has all the equipment and hardware to fix the bolt issue. Additionally, he wants to see if there is anything that can be done to level the Aluminess post with the door pin. He told me to just stop on by and no appointment is needed.

I would be real keen on trying to do this myself, but bringing it to the attention of Aluminess and QuadVan was a good idea, thank you. I know when I overlook things in work and life, I like to know about it so I can learn from my mistakes and hopefully avoid similar situations in the future.

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

I just noticed the exposed area of the hinge pins. Must be a 2009 thing, my hinges aren't like that. Easier to keep lubricated I am sure.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Not saying there is a problem, but what is with that weld on the first picture. Looks like there is a hole in it and that weld just looks lousy. At a minimum, I'd look over all the welds. If there is a poor weld like that on the bumper face where the tube makes contact, I'd be concerned. I know a few who have had welds crack and being it's new, now would be the time to check it. I've also seen those straps break. So far mine have not been a problem and I not only have weight on my bumper, I take it into some rough terrain...knock on wood.
Good luck on the repair.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #8

We just had the Aluminess tire carrier installed by Sportsmobile and on the way home to Huntington Beach the same bolt disappeared. What finally worked for you? I installed another very long bolt but within 30 miles of surface street driving it worked its halfway out! Very disconcerting. Sportsmobile is sending another bolt and they say to use Loctite but I don't have any confidence in that fix. My husband and I are leaving on a trip next week and don't need something to make it stressful.
beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

Aluminum is not always an easy material to use Loctite on. It is an inactive metal and you need to use a Loctite primer to ensure the Loctite will cure lock the bolt in place. Stainless steels also need a primer for best results. I'm betting that neither SMB nor QuadVan know that or use the primer. If they did, the bolts would NOT come out.

An industrial supply house or a bearing distributer should carry the primer.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #10

Thanks for the info on the primer. I'll try to find it.
Cindy
beachy is offline   Reply With Quote