Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #11

Are you planning on custom valving the Bilsteins or off the shelf?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #12

bilsteins

Thats a good question. I'am not sure. Jeff at Deaver is talking with Bilstein about the heavy van, not sure what they will come up with..

I do know that theirs a fitment problem because of the large fuel tank..

Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
Site Team

FWIW, Quadvan offers Bilsietn's as an upgrade option, so you mat want to have Jeff at Deaver give them (Eddie) a call and see if he'll share the info.

Herb
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #14

I did hear back from Jeff at Deaver. $1,100 per axle (I'd do my own install). That's pretty reasonable. Also, Bilsein now has a ride height adjustible 5100 series shock that just may be the ticket as no mods required for the rear (stud mount, shaft up position). Easy is good.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #15

Deaver Springs

Have the Deaver springs improved the vans porpusing when you hit a large bump such a at the freeway over pass seems in the road? And how about when you hit a shart bump, such as a pot hole. Right now my whole van shutters when I hit a pot hole or somthing simillar, and when I'm on the freeway, it will porpus 3 or 4 times after the bump. It is stock 06 4x4 SMB.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #16

Deaver springs

Porpoising(that is a weird word) has alot to do with the shocks. OME are not up to the task. The van is high and heavy which makes it harder to control...
The Deaver springs helped alot with both side to side and front to back movement. I'am waiting for my new shocks ( Bilsteins). It should handle like a German car, well maybe not that good..

Porpoising is not a good thing..

Jeff
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #17

Jeff,

Saw a box at Deaver yesterday morning...

It said BILSTEIN on the side and written 'Jeff Merritt' on it. Wonder what that could be?

I've got a spring set on order with them now and will probably follow up with similar shock absorbers. Thanks for the heads up this place they know their sh*t!

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Hi Jeff,

Are they going to install the springs for you? What was the damage, if you don't mind. Hope you have a great trip as well!

-Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #19

The springs are $2000+ OTD, or about $2400 installed. I'm having Bilstein shocks added also. After 100 miles of washboard in Death Valley recently, I was inspired to look at other options.

Jeff Carver at Deaver know springs well...like Myriad said, that is ALL they do. The current set up from SMB works, but there is way more room for improvement. This upgrade gets rid of the block-lift ontop of the axle and replaces that with a true sprung arc. Currently my springs are f-l-a-t and arc on the down curve in a reverse manner.

Sent in my deposit today. I'll do a full write up in a few weeks after it's done and I have off road miles on it. I'm curious how Myriad's SMB rides off & on road with both the spring/shock package installed.

Ray, if you're going the 2x route, I'd suggest getting the deaver spring set up and having SMB install it.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #20

Maybe now Myriad (Jeff) can go over 5mph down washboard.

I was in Death Valley with him. Looked like a slow motion comet with all his HID lights, though.

couldn't help myself Myriad (Jeff).

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote