Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

New Rear Springs

I am looking into getting some springs. Since I have the older van it will just be the rear. Can you guys tell me what you paid to have this this done (rear springs/shocks). Pm's are fine if dont want to post it.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #2

Re: New Deaver Springs

Mine included a whole re-working of the front and rear suspenion so I wouldn't be a good source for just the springs.

I could sell you the leafs that were on my SMB as installed ny SMB factory for real cheap.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 2
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #3

Re: New Rear Springs

I have the same year with the stock springs on top of blocks. My springs are tired, my rear end is sagging (van too). Took the van into Arizona Spring last week and was quoted $800 for a rebuild of the old springs with a new leaf or two. Sounds like a big chunk of change to me, but includes new shackles, bushings and all labor. I was also told that it could be up to $1100 if my springs are not in good shape. So far this is the best option I've found.

What does the factory SMB rear look like? Blocks? New springs, or leaves added?

Tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #4

We had one additional leaf spring added per side on the rear to remove the sag on our 2001 SMB back in 2005 and it cost about $600...
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #5

I've got an 95 E250. I had the rear springs rebent/refreshed, a new leaf added, front and rear helwig sway bars installed (I supplied parts), new hawk brake pads (I supplied parts), and rotors turned for about $1100 after tax (8%).

I bought the van used. They seemed about $200 too high but I needed to get the thing on the road and I asked them to look for any other suspension related issues that might possibly need to be addressed. They went over everything and found no additional recommended repairs. Given the incentives involved, I found this worthwhile for my peace of mind.

There is a place in the more industrial part of town that does work on all the work vans and panel trucks. They fix lots of vans, turn lots of rotors, and know their way around Ford truck/van suspension. Probably a similar place in your area.

Good luck.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

I just got off the phone with Jeff at Deaver Springs. I've heard a lot of talk on the forum about how good their springs and service are.

Jeff just happened to have a set of rear springs that were recently returned by a user of this forum. He made me a deal that I can't pass up. Still expensive stuff, but to get rid of my 4" blocks and lose the sag will be well worth it.

He also said he could replace my front coil springs to eliminate the 3" spring spacers I have up there. At 5 to 6 hundred a pair they are much more affordable and will be on the to do list.

Jeff was also telling me about the bilstein shocks they have for the sportsmobiles. Has anyone here used them? I'm wondering if they are much different from the ones demininsismisss came up with.

Tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #7

Tom - there's another thread on this forum that goes into detail on the Bilsteins. I've got 'em and so do a couple of others. I love them.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote