Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #1

New Rearview Mirror

I recently installed a new rearview mirror to upgrade my stock standard mirror. This mirror has auto-dimming, outside temp, compass, and homelink. The homelink allows you to open garage doors without having to keep the openers in the van.

This was a fun and easy project. I bought the Gentex 50-GENK50A. You can get similar features for a little less but this model comes with the upgraded Mito Corporation wiring harness that is more durable and easier to install. I did not have to splice into any factory wires since I used “add a circuit” plugs available at most auto stores that allow you to just plug into the fuse block.

You need to locate two 12 volt power sources, one constant 12v source for the homelink and one switched 12 volt source for the mirror power so you don’t run your starting battery down. Using my multi-meter it was easy to locate the required power sources, in my 2003 I found fuse location number 17 was constant and location number 21 was switched.

You have to route the temp probe from the front bumper to the interior. I used a hole that was already in place through the firewall with a large bundle of wires going through a rubber boot. It is located on the driver’s side just below the brake pedal.

The wiring from the mirror to the fuse box contains an unnecessarily large wire connector plug but I was able to slip this up into the head liner and out of view. I routed the wires under the headliner over to the drivers side a pillar and removed the pillar cover (just remove the two screws that hold the grab handle in place.

When you order the mirror remember to order the cable cover and get two if you can. This cover hides the cable from the mirror up into the headliner and one cover was barely long enough so I used the second one to extend it further. The plastic parts telescope inside one another so you can just push three together and trim them down with a razor blade to have some extra length.

You can search the internet and find a ton of sites that have these. I got mine from Rob at brandnewauto.com and his phone number is 1-800-964-3229. I am not affiliated with him in any way and this is the first thing I have ordered from him but he provided excellent service at the best price. The mirror cost $310 with free shipping and the wire covers are only 1 cent each. You do not need the optional cam lock mount adapter with the ford vans nor a new windshield mount button. The mirror comes with installation and calibration instructions but I thought the above description specific to our vans might be helpful.

Thanks,
John