Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #11

Re: New SMB Owner: 93 Ford E250 2x4

Here's some M55 tires, 265/70R17 on Ultra Goliath rims. With the 4600# springs, they fit fine, except they do rub the sway bar at full turn. Ultra usually offers 2-offets. I have the more in-set version, which will accommodate adapters when I add 4x4. But I did add coil-rite airbags to the front, so it doesn't squat when fully loaded.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #12

I called Deaver Springs and had a set made for my 2WD E350 2007 15-pass. I told them I wanted the van to be 2" taller and I wanted to add 250 lbs of weight to the front of the van. I took a couple of weeks and about $200.00. Ride is better than stock and 265/70 R16 fit. Also added airbags to the rear, which added about an inch of height and keeps it level when pulling the Jeep. The measurement from the ground to the bottom of my fender flare is 38"front and 38.75" rear. Deaver did ask for the number off of my old coil spring, it was on a tag in the spring. Of course you will need to have it aligned, my shop said that was about as tall as i could go and still get it in alignment with the stock I-beams. BTW, did not affect the RSC/Advance Track.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #13

thanks for posting guys! I'm haven't decided on a direction yet, but all of these options really help a lot.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #14

exhaust leak fixed!

next on the list before I leave on the 22nd for my first race event with the new tow SMB:
- add brake controller and harness
- add 7/4-wire trailer harness
- removal of the aluminum step sides
- add CARR steps
- remove rear A/C and bracket and replace with glass

things I'd like to do before I go, but time might not allow:
- paint front/rear bumpers black
- paint grill black
- paint factory steel wheels black
Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #15

Your van likely already has a 4-way flat connector tucked behind the rear bumper. And... some vans came with the 7-way wiring from the factory. If yours did, the final 3 wires (brakes/charge/backup) will terminate on the inside of the driver's side frame rail, above the rear axle. If those wires are there, then you will also have a brake controller connecter under the dash. But you may have to add a relay into the power distribution box to enable the battery charge circuit.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Your van likely already has a 4-way flat connector tucked behind the rear bumper. And... some vans came with the 7-way wiring from the factory. If yours did, the final 3 wires (brakes/charge/backup) will terminate on the inside of the driver's side frame rail, above the rear axle. If those wires are there, then you will also have a brake controller connecter under the dash. But you may have to add a relay into the power distribution box to enable the battery charge circuit.
it does in fact have the 4-way flat connector - I can see it hanging. Thanks for the tip on the 7-way - I'll dig around the back before I start making any changes.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #17

small update

pulled the rear window mounted A/C and temporarily installed the new glass - didn't have any window-weld handy to install permanently, but I do now so I'll go back and do it correctly.

I also pulled the pass side running board. Two of the screws were frozen and were too much for my impact driver which ultimately stripped the head. I ended up drilling the heads off those two screws. Happy to find no rust and any other unwanted issues. Now I just need to shorten the somewhat ghetto rigged gray-water drain valve.

It looks like I'll have to wait on the new wheels, tires, spacers and lift until after my first few race events. As much as I normally like to run out and fix everything at once, I'll have to just take things slowly so that I don't over extend myself with money and time. For now some paint might help things a little.

Tonight I'll pull the driver's side running board. If I have time this weekend I may take a stab and cleaning, sanding and spraying the wheels. I'll try not to waste too much time on them since I won't be keeping them for long, but I have a hard time doing half-ass work when it comes to these types of car related projects
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #18

Good call, I know not everybody likes it but I for one dig the blackout look. You wont find any shiny silver wheels, or chrome bumpers on my rig!

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeWalnut
Good call, I know not everybody likes it but I for one dig the blackout look. You wont find any shiny silver wheels, or chrome bumpers on my rig!
yeah, def. the chrome and running boards on this van just weren't my style. The black is a nice simple way to refresh everything. Later on I can pull the side mirrors and respray them as well. I plan to pull the wiper arms and the rear 250 Econoline badge and respray them in the next days.

Here's a couple updated pics from this weekend. I managed to get more than anticipated done. I finished all four wheels and the grill (letting the grill dry overnight last night so I'll install it tonight).

For the wheels I used a semi-matte black. For the grill (and bumpers) I used black plasti-dip spray paint.

btw, for those of you that aren't DIY'rs, electrical tape is your bestest friend when refinishing wheels. It's super cheap, sticks to (dry) rubber, stretches/creates curves really well and creates a sharp paint line (when needed)

first light coat

Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
anything specific I should be looking for up under the frame rail on the driver's side? There's some black sheathing up there, but it's wrapped up - don't want to go cutting up the sheathing unless that's the only way to find out. Should I see some loose wires or do I have to do some investigating to find the "brake/charge/backup" wires? I appreciate the help.