Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
New Winch

I installed a new Superwinch Talon 14.0 this week. 14000 pulling power w/90' of synthetic line. Fit perfectly in the Aluminess bumper, but I did have to remote mount the solenoid. Uses 8 bolts, foot down mounting.

Notice the comically large hook.

First I need to learn how to roll the line in--ugly. Then, maybe, learn how to use it.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: New Winch

That must have been a bear to get in there.

Just be sure to fully unwind the line, hook it to something unmovable (with a tree strap), and wind it back in while riding the van brakes somewhat. This will wind it in under tension, and will likely wind it in in a nice, clean fashion. If you do a pull without doing this, you'll run the risk of an expensive line that you can't unwind.

Herb
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Nice and wow 8 bolts is cool! I have the 9.0 Superwinch on a Jeep and it's been great for 4 years. I did smash up the electrical socket for the winch controller but the part was like 10 bucks and simple to swap.

You get to a tuff spot and say "I may get stuck so I better not try it" and then you say "but I have a winch." 99% of the time you drive right thru it with out needing the winch but if you had not had the winch you would have turned around. Thats what a winch is all about.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #4

Ditto what Herb said, although you can partially engage the parking brake, leave the van in N and get a constant effect without riding along.

Also, why not mount the control port in the bumper so you don't have to store the lid somewhere else during winching?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
That must have been a bear to get in there.

Just be sure to fully unwind the line, hook it to something unmovable (with a tree strap), and wind it back in while riding the van brakes somewhat. This will wind it in under tension, and will likely wind it in in a nice, clean fashion. If you do a pull without doing this, you'll run the risk of an expensive line that you can't unwind.

Herb
It fit the bumper well, but the running the cables from the under van batteries was a PIA. Since the wires are nearly 12' long, I decided to use 1/0 awg cable. Big job.

Z

Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Also, why not mount the control port in the bumper so you don't have to store the lid somewhere else during winching?
I looked into mounting the control port in the front panel of the bumper, but the metal was too thick for the connector. Also, you have to remove the hatch to get at the release lever anyway. Plus it will offer some cooling to the winch motor with the hatch left open.

Z

Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I also have a huge hook like that. I wish it would have come with an eyelet and shackle. I used an old fall safety strap under the van and hook the line to it but I don't like that the hooks knot is exposed to water. At least it's out of the sun and I keep a cover over the rope coming out of the fairlead.

Sure wish I had a hawse. Oh well, I just have to be careful

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Why do you wish you had a hawse?
Bill
Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

I 4x4 by myself a lot ( I know not a good idea ) and I prefer to be behind the wheel while operating the winch. The roller fairlead will cut my rope if its not at the correct angle. Wonder if they make an adaptor to fill the space?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I 4x4 by myself a lot ( I know not a good idea ) and I prefer to be behind the wheel while operating the winch. The roller fairlead will cut my rope if its not at the correct angle. Wonder if they make an adaptor to fill the space?
I talked about this issue with both Thor, at Viking Offroad, and Bill Burke. Both of them were very comfortable with using a roller fairlead with synthetic winchline.

Herb