Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

No Dash Lights No Crank

I got towed a few days ago. I drive a 2004 e350 6.0 diesel.
The moments leading the event,

I was driving on the freeway on cruise control at about 60mph. First the cruise control shut off on its own. I thought that was weird, turned it back on amd kept going. I exited for food and fuel and i noticed that when i would take my foot off the gas it would make a deep grumble power down strudder noise. So i pulled up to the pump amd shut it off and fueled up. When i tried to start it again i turn the key to warm up the glow plugs but no lights are coming on. And when i turn the key all the way nothimg happens...
So the tow truck shows up and hooks his jumper cables to the van using his f650 for about 10 minutes and the glow plugs came on. I tried to start it but it just did a very slow attempt to turn over then went back to having no dashlights and no crank..

The day after i got towed i hooked up the jumper cables to my girlfirends ram for about 30 minutes but still no dash lights or crank.

I never got any battery or check engine lights. The battery voltage has been fine.

Im going to have the batteries and the alternator tested. The batteries are about a month old so i dont think thats the issue. Also going to check the fuses. I wonderim if its the FICM.

Has anyone expirenced this?
I thank you for your wisdom in advance. I am only able to do online research at tue moment because my girlfriend is in the hospital so im spending all my time there.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Re: No Dash Lights No Crank

I'll also add that I've been having loud injectors, long starts, and shaking.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Site Team

How are you testing the voltage? The battery can have fine voltage if you're testing without any load, but cranking an engine is another story.

How are the headlights? Also check to see if they dim while you try to crank the engine.

Herb
Old 10-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

I'm going to take them to autozone.
I can't crank at the moment. When I turn the key nothing at all.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

I don't know anything about your motor, but since you recently had your batteries replaced, I would make sure terminals are tight and you have a good ground.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

Probably bad terminals, assuming the batteries are good and the alternator is putting out a charge (note... bad batteries can still hold a surface charge showing good voltage but discharge immediately with a load). Basically, the van isn't getting enough voltage to turn on the PCM, and that's why the check engine light isn't on. I wouldn't keep driving it as-is until you figure it out, because it can cook the FICM in no time.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Probably bad terminals, assuming the batteries are good and the alternator is putting out a charge (note... bad batteries can still hold a surface charge showing good voltage but discharge immediately with a load). Basically, the van isn't getting enough voltage to turn on the PCM, and that's why the check engine light isn't on. I wouldn't keep driving it as-is until you figure it out, because it can cook the FICM in no time.
Oh so true and the low voltage on a running motor will kill that FICM which will kill injectors in a blink of an eye.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Weird the engine wouldn't jump off the jump stud. At least on my van the battery cable goes to the starter so you might take a look at that connection point as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

Thats a good idea. Ill follow the battery cables.
I dont have a battery in the engine bay they are both unerneath the side doors. We will see if this is an advantage or disadvantage.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Same here. Goes from the batteries to the jump stud and on to the starter. There is a tap off the harness at the starter that goes to the main fuse panel under the hood and a jumper off the starter to the alternator IIRC. Might as well take a good looks at those grounds also.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote