Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #1

Oil Bypass Filter Location

Didn't have much luck with my other thread, so how about this; for those of you that have the Amsoil Bypass Filter Kit on your '04-'07 6.0 PSD, where did you mount the filter?? I spent half an hour under the van today looking for a decent spot; bupkiss.

Pictures would be really useful. Thank you.

'06 E350 6.0 PSD EB-50 4x4
'04 KTM 525 EXC. '12 SkiDoo Summit ETEC 800
'76 Ford Hi-Boy, '72 Baja Bug, '83 CJ 7
GunniLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #2

Garage
Mounted underneath the drivers door (about even with the bottom right corner of the door). No current picture, I'll try get you one in the morning if you are still interested.

Have the Fass Titanium dual filter fuel system (sits even with the middle of the drivers door, then the Amsoil dual filter bypass just aft of that...then the Propane tank.

Here is a pic of the fuel system, but you can see the white filters just to the right of those
Old 06-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #3

Thanks, Felix! If you can get a couple pics of the oil filter that would be awesome. A couple different angles would be super helpful.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 AM   #4

Garage
No problem. I also have to apologize; Unable to get pic's this morning since I dropped the Van off yesterday afternoon to have all the fluids changed (Senior moment last night when I wrote I'd get them this morning) - wont be ready till this afternoon or possibly Thursday, so Pic's will come either tonight or sometime Thursday afternoon.
I know, frustrating when you're focused on resolving a problem and have to wait for critical info...sorry.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:10 AM   #5

No problem at all! I have plenty of other things to work on.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:15 AM   #6

Garage
I just noticed you have a '72 Baja Bug...That was my first introduction to off-road adventures. That thing would go anywhere, and climbed hills better than many Jeeps.
Brings back many fond memories!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:23 AM   #7

I got that Baja bug the day I turned 16. $2300. It’s in storage 1800 miles away. Yellow with black striping. Looks like a bumble bee. Dual carbs. Geared pretty low. Just can’t bring myself to sell it.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #8

Garage

will try to take some daytime pictures...
Old 06-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #9

Thanks, Chris. Before you (or anyone for that matter) takes additional pictures I'll throw it out there that I have a Starcool AC on board. It makes a big difference in how much, or little, real estate I have under the driver side between the front of the door and the front of the rear wheel. If anyone HAS a Starcool, and also the oil bypass filter, that's the info that would be most helpful.

I may have found a spot about even with the transfer case lever, outboard, in a horizontally mounted orientation. I started fabricating a 3/16" steel bracket for the housing tonight. Need to do a little more research on max oil line length, although the bypass filter will only be about 14" from the main line filter.

Will update when it's mostly done and done.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #10

I finally got up the courage to tackle the installation of the Amsoil Oil Bypass Filter kit. For the life of me, with all the fleet Econolines out there I cannot believe there isn't enough demand for a van-specific kit. I digress...

Started with a new, 3rd party fill cap. Didn't want to drill the OEM cap in case I screwed up. I then took the nipple from the Sinister Diesel cap, which wasn't to be used as the threads were completely wrong, and stuck it through the hole in the new cap; used 11/16" drill bit. It fit just tight enough but I siliconed it in anyway. Also bought a 9' custom piece of braided line from a local auto supply. $99 for 9'! Note to others, you only need 8'.

I had also purchased an extra filter cap for the same reason; didn't want to screw up the one I had....just in case. Anyway, I used a 1/8" NPT tap after drilling with the recommended 21/32" bit. The hex hole in the aluminum cap acts as a helpful guide for the drill bit. The nipple threaded in nicely with a few layers of pipe tape.

It took awhile but I finally located a reasonable location for the bypass filter; on the front side of a cross member about 3" toward the driver's side of the front drive shaft. I cut a roughly 3-1/2" square bracket from 3/16" steel. In the uppermost right of the picture you can see the plug that I screwed into the unused "In" port of the filter head. I didn't see it in the directions, but the plug that comes installed in the SD filter cap fits perfectly. Took me a bit to figure out to try the filter cap plug as I didn't see it anywhere in the directions. But it makes sense given that the plug was to be removed anyway if the SD filter cap was used (in the case of our vans, it won't be).

A wider shot of the final filter setup.

I'm optimistic this setup will work. I can already see I need to tighten the filter cap nipple a little tighter as there is a small drip on the bottom side of the nipple end of the cap.

Would love to hear from others that have installed the oil bypass kit. Similarities and differences from my method. Anyone see any reason for concern? The oil lines are over-zealously zipped tied to the frame rail, which I didn't capture in any of these shots.