Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Oil cooler issue......

Can I get your guy's feeback......I am having an issue with my transmission temps & I have been looking where to add an additional cooler. Due to the lack of space for mounting, do you see any reason I couldn't mount this on the hood & fashion a hood scoop, allowing the air to be forced through the cooler onto the engine? Just a thought...... I'm not against cutting the grill to put a larger cooler & blower but I don't want to engine running hotter than it has to. Woot......

WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Re: Oil cooler issue......

The problem I forsee is airflow.

The 6.0 engine compartment is so tight that it limits airflow through the radiator. Adding more air into the engine compartment isn't going to help.

Check out Badger's installation of a larger trans cooler in his van:

www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4465

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

Easiest solution is replacing the stock cooler with a larger one. I'm running a Tru-Cool max 40,000 GVW cooler. It's almost a direct fit, except one of the stock cooler support had to be trimmed away since the Tru-Cool is much wider.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOT
Can I get your guy's feeback......I am having an issue with my transmission temps & I have been looking where to add an additional cooler. Due to the lack of space for mounting, do you see any reason I couldn't mount this on the hood & fashion a hood scoop, allowing the air to be forced through the cooler onto the engine? Just a thought...... I'm not against cutting the grill to put a larger cooler & blower but I don't want to engine running hotter than it has to. Woot......
Just curious what sort of temps are giving you concern?
R
Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Check out John & Dana's thread on this subject. I believe what he did corrected the problem. You can find it under Engines and Drivetrains: sub-heading: transmission temperatures.
Bill
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

I also up-graded my trans cooler to a Tru-Cool, I went for the #4590, 12"X11".
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merch ... coolers-hd
It was a bit of work to get it to fit but I would have to imagine it was less then mounting it to the hood. I then used the stock trans cooler as the power steering cooler just like Badger did. I'm sure that if you just up-grade to one of these more affective coolers you'll see a big drop in the temperature.

Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Great guys....the hood was not the idea location for mounting but it is up & out of the way of the other componets. Adding the larger coolers had no affect on engine temps? I was concerned with the air flow to the radiator. Sounds like I should be safe. Thanks Woot.....
Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #8

Even with my giant Tru-cool max, my engine temps are still good. At 22,000 pounds pulling that nice ~12% grade west out of death valley, 107F ambient temp, engine temp never topped 220F. It was a lot of WOT climbing, and I finally did have to pull over... to allow my rear differential to cool since it pegged the diff temp gauge.

This is the 40k Tru Cool:
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

Thanks a bunch. That may do the trick. I have had temps at 250 plus & the tranny puked. I was headed up a mountain road in traffic. I was trying my best to keep it moving & the air flow moving thru the cooler but of course as the road leveled out, there was another climb........I was able to get it pulled off the road & let it cool off. The temp hasn't seem to have damaged the tranny but I've got to get this addressed. I was thinking of the easiest way to do this without it being a big project. I live in a dang housing association & car repair is a no no. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to drop the bumper/brush guard assembly to get to this. Since I need to get the hood repainted anyway........Ah, I'll get it figured out.....this information is extreemly helpful. I'll check it out! Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Wow, those were trans temps of 250 degrees? I hope you changed the trans fluid after that.

Herb