Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Oil Viscosity Change

In my ongoing quest to rectify what I feel are excessive operating engine temperature's , I am going to try the Amsoil 20/50 for the balance of the summer month's . I have been able to drop my temps down as previously reported here on the Forum with Mag Hy Tec Trans pan , Zylstra Custom Air Box , Edge Platinum Tuner , Custom Scatter Scoop , and the recently added Zylstra 4" Cat Back Exhaust . With these editions I have effectively dropped my open road temperature's by 12 degree's and gained additional power as well . I contacted Amsoil and spoke with one of their technician's and explained my desire to further reduce my operating Temperature's and he said that a number of Fleet operator's were running this weight oil during extreme condition's and in area's with high summer temperature's . Ford validated this along with Hubert at Southbay Auto , so unless any of my Fellow Forum Member's has any qualms about this change in oil I thought that I would give it a try ! I will post results after a couple of trips .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #2

Oil Viscosity Change

I have also put some effort into this area with very similar mods. Currently, I'm seeing highway EGT's running around 800 at speed, transmission is running at about 190-200, and coolant/oil is about 210-215.

Seems like almost any load puts the coolant over 215 (what I consider the high side of "normal"). Are these temps similar to what you are seeing?

Eric
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: Oil Viscosity Change

On my recent trip from Ely Nv to Tonopah, the air temps were hovering around 85 degrees. While pulling my 11,500lb 6.0 PSD van up and down the numerous grades, I was running coolant temps between 210 and 225. When I hit the flat runs it dropped to below 200. During the climbs the fan would kick in at 222-225 which would cool the engine to about 215 where the fan would kick off and the temps would again start to rise unless I was over the grade. Trany temps stayed below 200 because most of the grades were short with longer runs on flatter land.

I still plan to do what Greggde did to help cool but will probably stick with the same AMSOIL syn I'm using now.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
On my recent trip from Ely Nv to Tonopah, the air temps were hovering around 85 degrees. While pulling my 11,500lb 6.0 PSD van up and down the numerous grades, I was running coolant temps between 210 and 225. When I hit the flat runs it dropped to below 200. During the climbs the fan would kick in at 222-225 which would cool the engine to about 215 where the fan would kick off and the temps would again start to rise unless I was over the grade. Trany temps stayed below 200 because most of the grades were short with longer runs on flatter land.

I still plan to do what Greggde did to help cool but will probably stick with the same AMSOIL syn I'm using now.

Well, at least our SMBs are consistent. My experiences with water, oil and tranny temps is almost identical to Dave's. I have had zylstra do the mods that Greg mentioned too. My cooling fan also kicks on at 213-215. I've pulled some big grades and never seen temps above 231 for EOT.

My concern, however, is that all of this is happening while using 0% of our van's rated towing capacity. I will need to do some towing later this year, perhaps up to 7k for upwards of 300 miles. If anyone has some temp data based on towing loads of 4k or more, I'd sure be interested. Based on what I know now, I think I'll need to do some further cooling mods for heavier towing. Not ideal, but better than a blown hose or worse in BFE.

R
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

Dave,

If you haven't spent the money at Zylstra's yet, I would seriously think twice after reading your post. I have spent the cash and my van (2009 6.0 PSD) is operating nearly identical to yours while I am only pulling an Adventure Trailer. I have no idea how much it weighs, but it sure isn't 11,500 lbs.

Although I will continue to tell myself that everything I've dropped cash on to keep the beast cool will pay off in the long run, I'm not sure I'm seeing the bang-for-the-buck I was looking for. Stand by for my 200,000 and 300,000 miles long-term report...

Eric
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Team

I didn't think to log my temps from SoCal to Utah, and back, earlier this year. Would have been some good data points. Towed approx 7000lbs back and forth over some fair-sized mountain ranges.

IIRC (big if);
my water temps maxed at about 220-225 degrees
my oil temps maxed at 235 degrees
my trans temp maxed at something like 215 degrees
and I never let my EGTs go above 1100 degrees (thermocouple mounted pre-turbo) and reduce my speed if I approach that number

Herb
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

I am experiencing temperatures that would average between 5 to 8 degrees cooler than Dave but with much better power in fact on our trip to Moab two weeks ago pulling a 4,500 lb trailer
up I-70 I had to pull over several time's and wait for my three Kid's in their V-10 Quigley's .
I was very surprised at this turn of events and with the great mid range power and very acceptable temperatures .
Greggde
Old 07-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I'm sure that warmer outside temps make a difference and that's what I'm more worried about. In warmer weather I've had to pull over to let things cool down a bit especially when pulling my SMB trailer up grades like Sonora Pass.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #9

Dave ,
What I didn't clarify was I pulled over so that they could catch up as all three of my children were watching their temperatures just like I taught them and they were running with lots of grandchildren and all of their camping and fishing gear . The highest temperature that the 6.0
TD reached on that trip up the I-70 in 89 degree outside temperature's was 224 degrees for the oil , 222 for the water and 201 on the transmission , according to Edge Platinum Gauge .
I checked these temperatures a half a dozen times during the trip with a Raytec MT6 Lazer thermometer ,

that Herb made me buy and and was always within a degree or two of the dash mounted Edge
gauge ! I picked the Van up this morning from South bay Auto where Hubert repacked all bearing's , changed oil to 20/50 weight and filters and replaced the Brakeman Brakes . More to come on these Brake's and their maintenance need's !!! Sorry for not being more explicit Dave
Greggde
P.S. The Fan was working perfectly ,on at 215 Degree's for short period and off at around 213
Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Dave ,
What I didn't clarify was I pulled over so that they could catch up as all three of my children were watching their temperatures just like I taught them and they were running with lots of grandchildren and all of their camping and fishing gear . The highest temperature that the 6.0
TD reached on that trip up the I-70 in 89 degree outside temperature's was 224 degrees for the oil , 222 for the water and 201 on the transmission , according to Edge Platinum Gauge .
I checked these temperatures a half a dozen times during the trip with a Raytec MT6 Lazer thermometer ,

that Herb made me buy and and was always within a degree or two of the dash mounted Edge
gauge ! I picked the Van up this morning from South bay Auto where Hubert repacked all bearing's , changed oil to 20/50 weight and filters and replaced the Brakeman Brakes . More to come on these Brake's and their maintenance need's !!! Sorry for not being more explicit Dave
Greggde
P.S. The Fan was working perfectly ,on at 215 Degree's for short period and off at around 213
Greg, please let us know if the 20/50 amsoil seems to make any difference in your temps. I've been using the amsoil 15/40 heavy duty diesel oil since my first change. 15/40 seems pretty darn close to 20/50, but I'm clueless about this stuff.
Rob