Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #11

Re: Penthouse Bolt Replacement - video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkkujawa
Any tips?
If the top is fully braced with 2x4's, unfasten one of the lifting blocks for the crossbars on the ceiling, that should allow additional movement of the crossbar.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #12

Can you give me some more info on how to unfasten the lifting blocks and where exactly they are at? Thanks I appreciate any help, have been trying to get this figured out the whole day. Thanks.
Tkkujawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #13

They are the two blocks on the ceiling that Rallypanam was referring to.....

Pop off the black decorative covers on the bolts and remove the 4 bolts holding each of them to the roof. I would think that you only need to undo one of the blocks. There are also black plastic decorative covers over the nuts on the top of the roof that need to be removed to get at the nuts.

Note that one of the blocks allows the crossbar to slide and the other just acts as a pivot.

You may not need to unfasten either of the lifting blocks.....are you confident that your 2x4's are long enough? i.e. that the roof is fully raised? How far apart are the two pivot holes that you are trying to align?
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #14

Thanks I will try that. Im pretty sure the roof is fully raised, I cut the 2x4's to 30inches, if it isn't fully raised I can try to cut some shims and raise it. The holes are about 2 inches apart, tried everything to bring them back together.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

I had the same issue. My guess is that the springs are keeping them from aligning. The only way I could get them aligned was to release bolts on the ends, do the middle and then redo the ends. Someone else may have a better idea.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #16

In order to release the bolts, does the spring tension need to be undone? Can I release the back bolt while the spring is tensioned or would that be bad? Thanks
Old 09-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #17

you need to release the springs before undoing any of the other crossbar bolts.......

There is a lot of energy in those springs, less energy when the top is up but they are still dangerous.

If you have a come-along, it's quite straightforward to release spring tension. If not, Harbor Freight sells come alongs for less than $20.
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #18

Sweet thanks, thats probably my best option to get them back inline. Any other ways to release the tensions beside a come along?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #19

I bought a come-along and got the tension off so I could release the pole. That was no problem. Now though the spring is under tension with the come along and I cant figure out how to release the tension slowly. I don't see any kind of release button. Help? Thanks
Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkkujawa
I bought a come-along and got the tension off so I could release the pole. That was no problem. Now though the spring is under tension with the come along and I cant figure out how to release the tension slowly. I don't see any kind of release button. Help? Thanks

There should be a small tab that engages the teeth on the pulley that ratchets when you are tightening. You need to engage the lever, pull the lever slightly to release the tension on the small tab and then slowly rotate the lever "looser". Repeat as required. If you bought a new one, it should have instructions.
2003 Honda Element