Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #11

Re: Penthouse Install - Fresno SMB (not optimal)

That is the same price I paid a few years ago to have our manual top converted to an electric one. (The electric penthouse wasn't an option when we bought in 2001.) I had the van there on Monday morning at 8:00 am and it wasn't done until Friday afternoon. That much labor time costs money.

I'm not sure that the statement about cutting a new hole is correct...I know I ended up with the same penthouse since it has solar panels on it and there isn't any evidence on our van that the hole is larger. But they did need to remove the penthouse completely, modify the back storage areas to fit in the motors, reinstall and seal the penthouse, etc.

Sorry to hear that it is so difficult to get up. As for testing it ahead of time, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that they don't have any manual penthouse models available...I'm guessing that 99% of buyers these days go for the electric option.

As others have mentioned, check out the posts on using a pickup bed load retainer to get it up.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #12

When I was cajoled into ordering our 2007 EB-50 by my Bride one of the very first bits of information off of
Jonathan Feld's lips was their was choice of a manual Penthouse or the Electric assisted and that some people much preferred the Electric due to the ease of operation . We were then taken to to an Electric on the showroom floor and shown the ease of operation to which I replied add it ! I had previously opened and closed a manual and felt that it might be a tad difficult for my Wife in the event that she was alone. I am amazed that this scenario played out this way as we have had nothing but the best of Service from Alan , Jonathan , Peter and their crew . I have met Jim Hefner on several occasions and found him low keyed , very bright and humble with a strong
sense of integrity not unlike what I have always experienced when dealing with SportsMobile West and their people . I am hopeful that Jim is taken care of or at least provided with a satisfactory explanation of this substantial difference in cost .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #13

I have the manual top. I find it handy to use the small step stool that we bring for getting in and out of the cargo doors. Stand on it and use your legs to lift rather than awkwardly bending at the waist with your arms overhead when it's in the closed postion. Also, it's easier to pull down if the beds are attached so the extra weight helps. So, the opposite of what two-gone describes for raising the roof.

I'm sure the electric assist is great but I've also heard stories of it breaking while on a trip and then your SOL until you can get it repaired. As I understand it, it's not like your garage door where you can unlatch it from the belt or chain drive and lift or lower the door manually. Unless you like to carry a lot of heavy things on the roof then maybe try if for awhile before sinking more dough into a retrofit. Also consider having the springs adjusted if it's really that hard.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
I'm not sure that the statement about cutting a new hole is correct...I know I ended up with the same penthouse since it has solar panels on it and there isn't any evidence on our van that the hole is larger. But they did need to remove the penthouse completely, modify the back storage areas to fit in the motors, reinstall and seal the penthouse, etc.
Maybe the "cutting a new hole" detail was a misunderstanding on the part of the person who mentioned it (?), but I guess the gist being that "it's a big job" was correct. Still, thanks for correcting that as otherwise it's one of those "facts" that becomes entrenched when it's not really true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I've seen posts of people using one of those ratchet bars for pickup beds to help lift the manual top but pulling it down is another issue.
Quote:
As others have mentioned, check out the posts on using a pickup bed load retainer to get it up.

Thanks to both of you for that suggestion - I will look into those. I've been noodling ideas for something that would work, but then not be a pain to stow. I was thinking about somehow using a trailer tongue jack (because the sidewinder crank seemed like it would work nicely), or the van's jack (since I already have to stow it anyway), but hadn't come up with anything yet (so now my back hurts from stooping instead of from raising the top ). I can lower the top just fine; it's "just" the first part of raising it that I can't do.

For the OP: I did find a couple of ways to make raising the top easier. This still didn't make it *quite* easy enough for me, but it did improve the process, and maybe it will be enough for you to be able to work with the manual top.

1) (Thanks to LenS for this tip) Close up the van prior to raising the top, and put the dash "heater fan" on high. This creates positive pressure and does help.

2) I put two small blocks of wood in the "helper spring" area (thus shortening the area and making these springs compress slightly more when the top is down). As I understand it, the main springs (the ones under tension) take over after the top is already partially up. On my SMB that part is no problem and it goes up easily once started; my problem is raising the top the first 6" or so. Supposedly this is what the helper springs help with. On my van, the helper springs are located towards the rear of the top opening, under some black-painted metal panels. To get to each helper spring, I had to unscrew one button-covered screw and pull back a piece of fabric, then reach in under the channel. The helper springs are not under any tension when the top is up; they're just lying loose in their places. I had various-sized pairs of wood blocks ready to go (to see which size would be best). The balance is that (as i understand it) if you put in too large a blocks, the top won't come down/sit down properly. I ultimately used blocks that are around 5/8" thick, and they are around 2" x 2" in the other dimensions. I made sure that the size I used didn't interfere at all with lowering the top, or with the way it sits when down.

I still need a bit more help for the initial top raising (I'll check into that pickup truck ratchet bar!); lowering it is no problem as long as I have a door or window open to avoid positive pressure.

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #15

Penthouse Install - Fresno SMB (not optimal)

I noticed weight dist of things stored on top is just as important as how much weight is up there. I used to have a Yakima tower, crossbar and warrior cargo basket mounted towards the rear. It was more work to pop the top then than it is now with the Aluminess full length, evenly spread out roof rack.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #16

SMB can adjust the Penthouse springs to make the top much easier to put up. It may make it more difficult to bring down however.

Several forum members have adjusted the springs on their tops. See the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1223

Also, some members use a 'jack' to lift the first few inches and are happy with that approach:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6625

Good luck,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I noticed weight dist of things stored on top is just as important as how much weight is up there. I used to have a Yakima tower, crossbar and warrior cargo basket mounted towards the rear. It was more work to pop the top then than it is now with the Aluminess full length, evenly spread out roof rack.
It's a trade secret, so Aluminess won't admit to it, but I've heard they fill their roof rack tubing with helium to make them lighter.

Herb
Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #18

This is an xlnt thred and I am now looking into bubble top......
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Speaking of which, can anyone help me to find any of these threads? I've been searching, but it seems to be one of those searches wherein all the terms (that come to my mind) also are common for other topics (lift, truck, load, bar, ph, top, etc.), and I either get no results or I get 5,000 threads about lifted vans, trucks, etc.) I looked up the ratchet bars themselves online, so I see how they work; but I would like to read about (or hear from) anyone who has used one for help in raising the PH top. I'm wondering if the ratchet is effective used in this way. If so, looks pretty slick.

Thanks,
Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Site Team

These should get you started on the type that are available. No firsthand knowledge of which ones are better than others.

http://www.discountramps.com/cargo-bar.htm
http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting ... 96811.html

Herb