Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #11

Re: Penthouse is ailing!

There is nothing on the outside that is keeping it from going down, the top looks straight and the canvas seems to be folding correctly- the back is lined up (which is where they usually shift out).

It looks like the rubber gasket may be coming off on the front passenger side, but that wouldn't affect the top coming down at all.

I would say something is going on inside, like others have said maybe something is in the way that shouldn't be there. It might be possible to identify something if you take a bunch of photos inside, all around the rim, facing back, facing forward... just kind of bomb us with photos and maybe someone can pick out what is wrong before you have to open the top again.

Apart from that I think putting the top up may be the next logical thing. I'd wait for others to chime in, but I'm thinking if you put the top up and take everything out... anything not bolted down (including the bed pieces).

Let me go through some scenarios:
1. Springs are way too tight - the springs keep the top weight up. Symptoms would be being able to hang on the top without it budging. 3 people would have been needed to start the top going down, but once the equilibrium point was reached the top should fall the last bit regardless (somebody verify this). To get this way the springs would have had to be tightened to this point, which is no small task.

2. Bars are bent. The big black bars that X should be mostly straight up the sides, the sides connect with each other through a piece in the ceiling. If they are bent I can imagine all kinds of strange things happening, however they are far from easy to bend.

3. Bars aren't sliding. The bar sides connect through the ceiling front and rear, there is a little padded rectangle that covers them with 4 buttons on the edges (you should be able to see the front one even with the top where it is). They need to move out as the top closes, if something is blocking them or they're stuck it would be hard to get the top down and the problem might start in the middle (e.g. you can pull the top a few inches down but then it doesn't want to go further).

4. Something is in the way of the top inside. I would guess this would most likely affect the last bit of top closure, meaning you can pull the top down but it either won't pass the equilibrium point or does but doesn't close all the way. Since the back is forced down, it is probably something to the front, although it could be in the middle, levering the front up by pulling the back down. I suppose this could include corner braces that some people have, which are straight rods that fold down in the front corners to prevent accidental closure of the top. I don't have them so I'm not sure how they work.

5. Something is in the X of the bars keeping them from closing. I think this is dubious because it would be pretty hard to get something to stay in the way of the bars, the material and everything for the most part shouldn't be substantial enough to block them.

So, some more questions- was the top easy to put up?
How far could one person move the top down before you got 3 people involved?
Does the top stay down (if you removed the rear J hook would it fly up, or would it sit a few inches from closed)?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #12

As soon as I get home from school I'll start troubleshooting and photoshooting. Awesome! Mary Lou
tmaryloub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #13

Unfortunately I'm in San Jose, or I would be able to look at it for you.

Anybody in the North Bay willing to help out?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone

Mary Lou,

Road Trip! Road Trip! I'm doing some work in the Sacramento area and I'm on my days off until Tuesday. From where I'm staying at to Petaluma is only 86 miles and I'm always up for seeing new sights. It would be no problem for me at all to swing by and take a look your penthouse.

Just let me know!

Ric
Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #15

Mary Lou,

My name is Eli and I live in Santa Rosa. I commute to Novato every few days (I am a fireman). I drive my SMB daily. I would be glad to stop and take a look. I bent the rear support bars on my SMB (the gage of metal they use is to light) and my top looks the same, and can be difficult raising. The top list to the rear when it is up. There are a few fixes that can be done with out going to Fresno. You can PM me and I will give you my cell phone. I go to work tomorrow for a four day strech. I will be getting off Tuesday at 0730, so let me know if that will work.

Eli
Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #16

The photos are helpful Mary Lou, thank you.

There are lift assist "booster" springs on the manual PH tops that mount toward the rear of the PH opening. These springs are compression type that fit under a metal plate, which is under the velour flap on the upper sides of the PH opening, one on each the driver and passenger side. This "booster" spring comes in contact with the aft facing ends of the front U-tube that pivots under the front pushpad (this is the pad with the handles that you place your shoulder against to raise the PH top).

There is typically a spacer (piece of 3/4" plywood about 1 3/4" square) that is inserted between the aft edge of the "booster" spring and a tab under the metal plate. I have seen these spacers fall over on their side and cause the "booster" springs to be placed so far forward that the ends of the front U-tube cannot go back far enough to allow the PH top to close properly.

The purpose of these springs is to ease the force needed to raise the PH top the first 8-10". Once the top goes past this point, the main lift springs (tension type) take over and raise the PH top the rest of the way. It sounds like these main lift springs also need to be adjusted since the top doesn't go "up" all the way.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #17

What a great support network this is.

The verdict is in thanks to a "house call" from Eric and all of your input. Eric had read all of your posts and considered all of the information. He took a close look at my "project" and diagnosed the problem--bent bars on both sides. Looks like a factory trip...I have an appointment on the 28th at SMB Fresno.

By the way, Eric's SMB is a sight to see. Mine looks like a "Sanford and Sons" model. I am going to take "before" pictures.

Does anyone know what "bent arms" usually entail? Should I let the factory know ahead of time?

Thanks again to all of you! Mary Lou
tmaryloub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #18

I think I have seen posts here that they have a jig for straightening damaged arms. I suppose it depends on how bent is bent. If they can strap something onto to arms and take the bend out it does not sound like to big if a job.

Never hurts to tell a garage in advance what you think your problem is.

Good luck.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

I would want to know what bent them in the first place. Bent bars are usually caused when raising the top with an electric lift and the owner leaves one or more of the tie downs hooked. But that causes the top to sag when in the up position. Seems like yours is just the opposite so maybe you do have a spring problem as well but that is a guess on my part. SMB straightened out mine which was an easy fix. Ask them to take care and not mar the outer tubing.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone

Mary Lou,

First of all I thank you for your warm welcome and hospitality....you are such a nice person...and you neighbors seem pretty cool also. I was all gung-ho to show up and wishing that it would be something simple that I could fix but it wasn't to be.

The problem: The front U tube which pivots under the front push pad (as John K had mentioned in a previous post) is bent on both sides of the penthouse...and it's a pretty good bend. When lowered the underside of the penthouse will rest on top of that bend on each side causing the gap shown in Mary Lou's photos. When she said it took 3 people to close it that was just trying to close that gap between the penthouse and roof and latch the j hooks.

I don't think there's a spring problem. The penthouse was down as in the photos and I climbed up on the rear bumper to pull the penthouse over a little bit to get it centered on the roof and just
from that little nudge the penthouse started to rise slowly slowly slowly and then it just popped up fully open...I wish mine was that easy! As far as pulling down the penthouse from a fully open position I really didn't notice anymore tension than what it takes to pull mine closed.

Anyway, I hope everthing works out for you Mary Lou. Just from our visit I know you have a passion for the outdoors which is very cool.

Good luck!...and keep us posted!