Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Re: Penthouse is ailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaryloub

By the way, Eric's SMB is a sight to see.
Mary Lou took a peek at my SMB and I think she was pretty impressed...I had just gotten the disco ball hung the day before along with the lime green shag carpet installed. What really put her in awe was my collection of the Bee Gees greatest hits on 8 track.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kalmbach
The photos are helpful Mary Lou, thank you.

There are lift assist "booster" springs on the manual PH tops that mount toward the rear of the PH opening.

...snip...

The purpose of these springs is to ease the force needed to raise the PH top the first 8-10". Once the top goes past this point, the main lift springs (tension type) take over and raise the PH top the rest of the way.
Hey John,

Great information! Are these booster springs adjustable? From the factory my top has been very hard to lift the first 8 inches or so - it takes a great heave, and my wife isn't able to do it at all. Now that you mention the existence of these springs, it seems apparent that mine aren't doing their job

Any info on adjustment would be a great help for those of us many hours from the factory!!

Many thanks,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #23

http://www.fx4.net/smb_mods/tension/index.html
Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #24

Thanks Jage! I've seen that page, but I don't think it addresses the booster springs? From what John is saying, there are two sets of springs - it's the booster springs I'm interested in most.

Cheers!
Mike.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #25

I adjusted my booster springs. Made a spacer that fit gehind the spring to increase the tension. I think it was about 1-1.5" of spacer, but I can't remember exactly. It was needed after I installed a solar panel on the top.

At the same time, I had to adjust the main springs 2 links on the chain for the same reason.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #26

Mary Lou, glad you discovered what the problem was with all these incredible SMB owners anxious to help! I would suggest you tell SMB to install a set of U-tubes that are typically installed with the electric PH top option, they have an additional chromoly steel tube insert to strengthen them. They can also inspect the lift assembly to try and determine what caused the U-tubes to bend. You do want to call SMB in advance to schedule an appointment to minimize your time there.

Mike, Mike is right on with the adjustment on the booster spring. With the PH top "up", you can fold back the velour flap to expose the booster spring. Simply slide the booster spring forward, while pulling up on the end of it to remove it. The 1 1/2" square blocks can be made out of 1/2' or 3/4" plywood so you can "fine tune" how much boost they are providing. They simply install between the booster spring and the tab under the metal plate that covers the booster spring.

As Mike mentioned, adjusting the tension springs may also be needed. I believe there are good instructions for the adjustment on this forum. Just be sure you are careful if you attempt to adjust the main tension springs.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #27

Thank you so much, Mike and John! I'm excited to try this out and see the difference.

Mary Lou, I'm glad you got your top figured out. Good luck, hope to see you around the forum!

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #28
JRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kalmbach
The photos are helpful Mary Lou, thank you.

There are lift assist "booster" springs on the manual PH tops that mount toward the rear of the PH opening.

...snip...

The purpose of these springs is to ease the force needed to raise the PH top the first 8-10". Once the top goes past this point, the main lift springs (tension type) take over and raise the PH top the rest of the way.
Hey John,

Great information! Are these booster springs adjustable? From the factory my top has been very hard to lift the first 8 inches or so - it takes a great heave, and my wife isn't able to do it at all. Now that you mention the existence of these springs, it seems apparent that mine aren't doing their job

Any info on adjustment would be a great help for those of us many hours from the factory!!

Many thanks,
Mike.
I searched this topic out because I've had this problem from day one but it has gotten worst to the point that getting the first 8-10 inches feels like the booster springs are not boosting at all. I'm a big strong guy and getting the penthouse up requires a full-blown gym dead-lift. Until the main springs kick in it feels like I'm lifting the full weight of the top. I've peeled back the fabric and inspected the booster springs and they look compressed or at least like they should be longer. I see how making a wood "spacer" block would force the spring to boost better, BUT, does anyone know the MAX size that the "spacer" can be? Or better, has anyone purchased replacement springs in the proper size? They can't be too expensive. Anyone?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO
I searched this topic out because I've had this problem from day one
You've got a window open or the vents on/blowing right? Does anybody know if the springs wear out now? We've had some old, old SMBs and it was never a problem but things are made different these days you know.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO
I searched this topic out because I've had this problem from day one but it has gotten worst to the point that getting the first 8-10 inches feels like the booster springs are not boosting at all. I'm a big strong guy and getting the penthouse up requires a full-blown gym dead-lift. Until the main springs kick in it feels like I'm lifting the full weight of the top. I've peeled back the fabric and inspected the booster springs and they look compressed or at least like they should be longer. I see how making a wood "spacer" block would force the spring to boost better, BUT, does anyone know the MAX size that the "spacer" can be? Or better, has anyone purchased replacement springs in the proper size? They can't be too expensive. Anyone?
The spacer can be longer as long as the booster spring is not fully compressed. If that spring gets fully compressed, it will be solid and could cause the U-tubes to bend. I'd go easy. Maybe 1/2" increments until the top opening was acceptable.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote