Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Penthouse roof crackling noise

We installed a yakima roof today on our '92 sporty(we are second owner). When we stepped onto the roof for the first time we heard crackling noises and there appears to be hairline fractures along the side. Is this gel coat or fiberglass? Should we be concerned? Should we still be able to walk on our roof to load our backet as it seems to be very flimsy. Sportsmobile says that you can and even has a picture of 8 guys standing on it!

ShortMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Penthouse roof crackling noise

Some pics might help people give a semi-educated guess as to what sort of cracks they might be.

FWIW, I've walked on my PH roof many times. I've noticed some deflection, but haven't heard any cracking noises.

Herb
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #3

I've been up on my penthouse many times, and everytime I here unsettling sounds. But, it seems the roof is strong enough.

My roof has some cracks in the gelcoat. These appear to have been there since new.

If you have large cracks, I would suggest sealing them to keep water out of the wood that is laminated in the top.

For hairline cracks and general gelcoat maintainance you can try:

http://www.poliglow-int.com/

Please note this product is not for use on painted tops, only the white gelcoat tops.

I recently applied this to my penthouse, and am happy with the results. For the first time, the top is as shiny as the paint on the van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Thanks so much Mike. I was just about to go out and wax my trailer and PH top. I think I'll just order the product and do it right.

As far as the cracking, I also noticed this the first time I crawled up top. I found if you disperse your weight, the gel-coat will not crack. I now take care when climbing around on the top. During one of my visits to SMBW they took a group publicity shot with over 10 people standing on the penthouse. It did not hurt the top but they were all light weight people standing up there. My guess is flexing can cause some gel cracking when too much weight is applied to a small area. ln other words your knees might be more apt to cause cracking as compared to your footprint provided you're light enough. SMB claimed that the cracking should not cause problems and to wax the top. I do know that fiberglass can wick water causing a host of problems. Looking at the product Mike showed seems to be the better solution for protecting the top from hairline cracks.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

We definitely will be more cautious when we go to the roof. I think what we will do is move the yakima rack towards the back so we can easily access it. We centered it just because it looked more balanced.
I appreciate your replys and I will post some pictures soon of the roof =)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

Strangley enough I was just out putting on our yakima rack and I did notice some cracking sounds. Nothing really visible though. Looking at the construction of the top on the SMB I think (possibly) we are hearing the friction between the various layers underneath.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #7

Here are a few pictures of our '92(we just bought this and we are now second proud owners )
We just added rims and new tires, a ladder from our previous conversion van, and waxed the body. A front grill is on it's way. We will get to the dents another time.

In the pictures..

*Notice the fractures, it's hard to tell in daylight, at night you can the fractures along the side of the roof. not sure if they are all the way through. any recommendations on putting a coating on before repainting the roof? The roof has a lot of wear compared to the body. It hasn't rained yet so not sure of leaks. The bolts on the roof are rusting though..

*Sometimes when we close the penthouse, the rubber lining around the roof isn't evenly aligned perfectly. But it shouldn't be an issue?

* Also we noticed a gel coating on the roof where the previous owners must of installed a solar or something and then close it off. The coating is flaking.

Any recommendations would be great
Attached Thumbnails
0.jpg   000.jpg   00000.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #8

Here are the other pictures..
Attached Thumbnails
0000.jpg   00.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #9

here are the fractures..hard to tell in daylight..
Attached Thumbnails
000000.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

SMB can spray the top with a product similar to line-X. Many of the new vans are coming off the line with that coating on the top.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote