Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Penthouse screen repair?

The sewn in screens of my Penthouse top have recently developed a couple of tears. They are about 2" long and lie along a fold seam. When the roof is closed the screens fold there.

I'd like to repair them in the most non-obvious way.

Does anyone have any success stories of repairing the screens? Though I'm considering using a similar color thread to "sew" it together, I wondered if there is a technique or product out there that I don't know about.

John

freddiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse screen repair?

I have the same situation... both front screens have 2" tears near the bottom. I tried the thread thing, and it didn't do as well as I hoped, so I coated the sewn seam with some silicone glue ... looks kind of messy, but it's near the bottom of the screen ... and it did work, but I don't want to do the other tear that way, so if anyone has an ideas I'll like to hear also.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #3

How old are your rigs?? Use the penthouse a lot??

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

'08 ... however, I noticed the tears very soon after I got the van and even considered that they may have been there when new, but since the tears are low down on the screens and hard to see, I wasn't sure when or how they happened, so I never mentioned it to SMB Fresno.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

My van is an 02 and it's seen lots of use, but very careful care. They only appeared (in the back screens, about in the middle) a couple of months ago.

I've seen another repair option which is to lace in a larger piece of screen, but it's VERY obvious and not quite up to my personal aesthetic expectation...
freddiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

Came here for ideas. One idea that we are considering is to cut out the old screen and take another piece of screening cut to similar size and then use adhesive to glue it down along the edge on the inside of the zipper area. Has anyone come up with other ideas.
Vanlifedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanlifedream View Post
Came here for ideas. One idea that we are considering is to cut out the old screen and take another piece of screening cut to similar size and then use adhesive to glue it down along the edge on the inside of the zipper area. Has anyone come up with other ideas.
You could go with an actual screen repair product. I've used this brand with pretty good results. Just trim the patch down to the size and shape you need.

https://www.msrgear.com/mesh-repair-kit

For a tear, I'd recommend just a single patch (so the patch is less noticeable than a double patch). For holes, the manufacture recommends two patches facing towards each other so you don't end up with a sticky surface.

Good luck!