Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #11

Re: PH roof load - How much is too much?

I used 3/4" electrical conduit with plastic caps on the ends. They were cut to a length that wedges tight in the corners and keeps the canvas taunt (but not to tight). Rather then painting them I covered them with black Gorilla duct tape. When the top comes down I just lay each one on the sill plate next to where they are used.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'm going to add some rubber cane tips to the dowels, which will hopefully take up the extra space.
If they're too short with the tips on, you might be able to stick some washers in there. I used 1" aluminum tubing with cane tips and stuck quarters in there to lengthen them when I cut two short of my mark.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #13

is it ok to walk around on top of the manual roof assuming you stay near the edges of the roof? I am 160 lbs. and would use ladder to access top of roof to strap down kayaks, put bike in tray, etc.
steven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

If they're too short with the tips on, you might be able to stick some washers in there. I used 1" aluminum tubing with cane tips and stuck quarters in there to lengthen them when I cut two short of my mark.
It is nice to know you have a stash of quarters for the parking meters or laundry.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

It is nice to know you have a stash of quarters for the parking meters or laundry.
Hell no, those state park showers... if there's any water left.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #16

is it ok to walk around on top of the manual roof assuming you stay near the edges of the roof? I am 160 lbs. and would use ladder to access top of roof to strap down kayaks, put bike in tray, etc.

sorry for the re-post, but want to be sure of roof capacities before i install a ladder and rack and go walking around up there.

thanks!
steven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2

sorry for the re-post, but want to be sure of roof capacities before i install a ladder and rack and go walking around up there.

thanks!
I wouldn´t do this! Waking on the rack (depends which on it is) would work but walking on the roof itselve? I reworked mine and after it was bend much and i was afraid that the gelcoat will crack i took a pliewood between me and the roof to enlarge the surface my weight is on. I am about 180lbs (82kg)
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I was at SMBW when they did a photo shoot ad with 10+ people standing on a lowered PH top. Mind you this was to show how strong the top is but I found that if I put my knee (a single small point) on to the roof I'd hear a cracking sound and did indeed see very small hairline cracks in the gelcoat. SMB said it was OK but I'd also suggest avoiding it. I did use a piece of heavy plastic to spread out the load (and I'm a BIG guy) which worked out fine over the years. After spraying the top and adding a rack, I have no reason to go up there anymore.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #19

After seeing that SMB picture with all those people on the top I assumed it was fine and have been up on mine several times since. We carried 2 22' sea kayaks on our roof, it was way easier to get them in place and tied down with someone up there. Likewise, when I installed the solar I was all over it. Fortunately I never heard or saw any cracks...yet.

Brad
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2
I've crawled around on hands and knees on top of mine to scrub the black grunge off of it one time, but I was uncomfortable doing it. (I weigh 210, but am trying to remedy that.) I heard some creaking, which I didn't like. Since then, I've only stood on the top one time. Staying at the edges is probably being better than in the middle.

Instead, I stand on ladder to wash the top now when at home, and when on the road I stand on the rear bumper or rear tires to access the TREDs.

I would recommend setting up your rack/kayak attachments so that you can reach them without having to climb on the PH roof. Just my $0.02.