Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

Photovoltaic panels

We ordered our van with solar prewire, but no panels, as I was uneasy with the co$t and durability of the flexible panels SMB was installing, and didn't want to add another 1.5 inches to the height of our van with framed panels. I wanted it to fit through an 8 foot high garage door.

After a year or two, I found a source for solar panels on a 1/8 stainless steel substrate. I started with two, but didn't get the current I wanted, so added a couple more. I put them on the front of the roof to avoid being shaded by anything mounted on the rear 2/3 on the roof racks. The wires are run through the front of the penthouse, above the fabric, and down through another loom at the right front corner of the penthouse, through the roof structure, and behind the panelling to connect to the charge controller mounted on the curb side midship galley (We have a custom plan fairly similar to the EB 43).

The panels have mounting holes in each corner, and are mounted on rubber cabinet feet from the hardware store and roofing screws with rubber washers screwed into the plywood sandwich of the penthouse top. I put epoxy in the holes in the roof before screwing in the screws.

No leaks so far, and our van is only about 1/2 inch taller and still fits in the garage.

The panels are rated at 30 watts, but rather optimistically, as the most current I've seen has been 5.3 amps with unobstructed mid-day sun in mid April at 8000' elevation. I'll see what I get during the summer solstice, but they do keep us charged up on reasonably sunny days.

Photos included in my gallery.

John Tarr

oldfart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Photovoltaic panels

Very clean install. How is the flexture if any?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #3

Re: Photovoltaic panels

According to the vendor, the panels will tolerate being flexed a bit. I've forgotten how much. The rubber cabinet feet raise the panels about a centimeter off the roof surface when compressed slightly by the mounting screws. The plastic covers for the through bolts of the roof lifting mechanism are underneath the panels, and support their centers. With the centimeter of so of standoff, they're flexed minimally with my installation, about 5 mm.

John Tarr
oldfart3 is offline   Reply With Quote