Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Garage
Post Your Maxx Fan Pics

I’m making the final decision on exactly where to install the Maxx Fan on my CCV top and have gone looking for exterior photos for ideas. I want mine somewhere in the open area right behind the cab so I can use it even when the poptop is down. But I’ve read about rattling or wind noise when driving, so have wondered if I should leave enough room for one of my Yakima bars or basket to hang a fairing on. Is it as big of a problem as some say? Or should I throw caution to the wind and see what happens?

Also, haven’t seen many pics with the fan open vs closed. Got any? Thanks!

My top. The plan is to move the big basket to the rear:

Old 08-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Here is a picture of the fan on my CCV top. It was just luck that it that the placement was just enough forward for the solar panels to fit on the back.

We had a bit of issue with the rattling and wind sounds when driving at highway speeds. My wife made an insulated pad that covers the inside of the vent and that has eliminated the sound problem.

I put a magnet on each corner of the pad to hold the pad in place. I also added a fender washer to each screw of the interior vent frame to give the magnet something to attach to.

The other advantage is it blocks the early morning sunlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	34898
cthayn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:06 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
Here is a picture of the fan on my CCV top. It was just luck that it that the placement was just enough forward for the solar panels to fit on the back.

We had a bit of issue with the rattling and wind sounds when driving at highway speeds. My wife made an insulated pad that covers the inside of the vent and that has eliminated the sound problem.
Thanks, cthayn. That’s helpful. Do you have a pic of your insulated pad installed?

Anybody else got a photo of their fan open or closed?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #4

I have a regular roof so figure you don't want to see any pics of my MaxxFan but I did want to add a helpful tip.

I have one of the nicer ones (can't remember what model) that has the manual opening/closing knob along with the electrical one. I found I could greatly reduced the rattling by tightening that knob a turn or so after closing the vent with the remote.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #5

I never considered where they would install it when I had CCV put it in, but I'm happy with where it's at. Being where it is, I can use it with the top down & when I do finally get the interior finished it will be in the general area of the stove & dining table. Because I'm tall enough that I can reach it with the top up, I opted not to get the remote. Looking at it now and thinking about it a bit, I still think it's in the best place.

I've never had a problem with it rattling. I do have the Yakima wind fairing on the front crossbar, forward of the fan, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the vent not rattling. I put it on more to reduce wind noise, to protect the front end of the fan from tree branches and to help prevent tree branches from getting under the front crossbar.

What I have found is on some really bumpy/rutty roads, the vibration causes the locking knob on the fan (which you push up until it clicks in order to lock it) to unlock. When that happens & I don't notice it, it will rattle some. Pushing the knob back up until it clicks fixes the problem. It does take a bit of bumpy to cause this, but I see it as something that will become more frequent as the fan & knob get used and become more loose from general use. At some point, I plan to look at it a bit closer and see if there's something that can be done to make it stay in place better.

What I'm having to deal with now is placement & room for everything I want to put on the roof. It seems like any configuration I come up with, the fan is in the way. I used the longest crossbars I could get, figuring I'd cut them to size once everything was in place. Now, I'm looking at keeping them full length, even if it does look a little odd.

In fact, I'm putting enough stuff on the roof that in order to easily access it all, I'm considering adding a 3rd ladder. The overall height of the van is to high to access anything from the ground, even for me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5037.jpg   IMG_5038.jpg  
Old 08-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #6

Post Your Maxx Fan Pics

Here is how we cover our vent. There are dozens of ways to do it.

The vent cover is made from 2 layers of Reflectix and a couple of pieces of the fabric left over from covering our walls. I used spray adhesive to stick all the layers together, then my wife sewed around the edges to finish it off. We hot glued rare earth magnet to the fabric to hold the cover in place.

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	34914

I put fender washers on the frame of the vent for a place for the magnets.

Views:	7
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	34915

Views:	6
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	34916
cthayn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
I have one of the nicer ones (can't remember what model) that has the manual opening/closing knob along with the electrical one. I found I could greatly reduced the rattling by tightening that knob a turn or so after closing the vent with the remote.
Thanks, RTF. Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I never considered where they would install it when I had CCV put it in, but I'm happy with where it's at. Being where it is, I can use it with the top down & when I do finally get the interior finished it will be in the general area of the stove & dining table. Because I'm tall enough that I can reach it with the top up, I opted not to get the remote. Looking at it now and thinking about it a bit, I still think it's in the best place.

I've never had a problem with it rattling. I do have the Yakima wind fairing on the front crossbar, forward of the fan, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the vent not rattling. I put it on more to reduce wind noise, to protect the front end of the fan from tree branches and to help prevent tree branches from getting under the front crossbar.

What I have found is on some really bumpy/rutty roads, the vibration causes the locking knob on the fan (which you push up until it clicks in order to lock it) to unlock. When that happens & I don't notice it, it will rattle some. Pushing the knob back up until it clicks fixes the problem. It does take a bit of bumpy to cause this, but I see it as something that will become more frequent as the fan & knob get used and become more loose from general use. At some point, I plan to look at it a bit closer and see if there's something that can be done to make it stay in place better.

What I'm having to deal with now is placement & room for everything I want to put on the roof. It seems like any configuration I come up with, the fan is in the way. I used the longest crossbars I could get, figuring I'd cut them to size once everything was in place. Now, I'm looking at keeping them full length, even if it does look a little odd.

In fact, I'm putting enough stuff on the roof that in order to easily access it all, I'm considering adding a 3rd ladder. The overall height of the van is to high to access anything from the ground, even for me.
Glen, thanks! The pics are especially helpful. Think I’ll install my Yakima fairing up there on a bar (it came with the basket). I know what you mean about the fan being in the way. I’m now considering changing to portable solar to get more room up there. Also, ya, the height. Definitely a tradeoff. I don’t carry much on top - the occasional kayak and extra-long lumber - but I do like having my Yakima basket up there for a few things. Seeing where my fan is likely to go, I’ll just have room for my extended basket.

I hear ya on the Yakima bars. Mine are extended too. I find I use the extensions a lot for carrying narrow stuff, pipe, etc. but it’s also really handy when you want to hang things from it. I recently used it to install my awning with no help available. Just hung adjustable straps to the bars and the basket. Worked great, darn thing is heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
Here is how we cover our vent. There are dozens of ways to do it.

The vent cover is made from 2 layers of Reflectix and a couple of pieces of the fabric left over from covering our walls. I used spray adhesive to stick all the layers together, then my wife sewed around the edges to finish it off. We hot glued rare earth magnet to the fabric to hold the cover in place.

I put fender washers on the frame of the vent for a place for the magnets
Thanks for the pics, cthayn. I’ll be stealing that design!