Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Prevent frozen pipes(Part 2/2)

Captain Obvious says to see Part 1 in "Prevent frozen water pipes (Part 1 of 2)"

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  13.4 KB
I use a tiny (blue) bungie to hold the door closed up and the duct pipe in the correct position. This way the hot air coming out the slot blows directly on the water pump.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  13.4 KB
In order to hook the duct pipe to the heat vent I unscrewed the factory screws, then put them back through some little metal clips. These clips were made from wiring clips I found 15/pack at Home Depot. They took a little custom bending to work properly. They are similar to these I found today on the HD website: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...1525/100125860

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  12.8 KB
Tearing away a bit of the aluminum duct skin reveals the coiled wire support. I made four of these holes to line up with the aluminum clips.

Name:  14.jpg
Size:  12.0 KB
The aluminum duct skin is fragile, and after a year or two of use needed reinforcing with some tape. I am a big fan of the Nashau 324 A tape. It is a bit spendy, but I use it for all sorts of things. It is true duct tape, made for professional HVAC work. Stays sticky even when cold. You should buy some; you’ll find plenty of uses for it.

Name:  15.jpg
Size:  12.7 KB
Now the duct pipe easily and quickly clips in place over the furnace vent.

Name:  16.jpg
Size:  14.0 KB
Save the duct box. You can store the duct pipe in it when not in use.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  13.7 KB
It fits nicely under the driver’s seat in the winter. In the summer I rotate it with my 12V fan.

Name:  18.jpg
Size:  14.5 KB
The duct pipe has many other uses. It can serve as a hair blow-dryer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	32650
Or can be used to heat the sitting or sleeping areas. When the bed is folded out, hot air from the vents underneath takes a while to warm the rear of the extended body van. My wife loves to insert the duct through the bottom of her sleeping bags in the morning. It is also long enough to reach sleeping bags in the upper bunk. So many people think we SMB types are so rugged to live in a van. Yet I consider it a life of luxury.

lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #2

That is very slick,thanks for posting.I hope to do something similar once i get our heat hooked up.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #3

I installed something similar called a stoker tube. It stores inside the hose from the heater and pulls out when needed. As mentioned, it is great for pre heating sleeping bags, as a hair drier or to just put heat where you want it. Marine Hot Tubes - Boat Heater Tubes - Stoker Tube - Stoker Hot Tube With Rotating Louvered Grill - TA8000506 - Maradyne
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Thanks Arctictraveller. Those tubes look like a great product. I'm not sure there is room to install them in a stock Sportsmobile like my 2010 E-350, but anyone building their own rig should look into them.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I installed something similar called a stoker tube. It stores inside the hose from the heater and pulls out when needed. Marine Hot Tubes - Boat Heater Tubes - Stoker Tube - Stoker Hot Tube With Rotating Louvered Grill - TA8000506 - Maradyne
artictraveller, Dont know how I missed this, but love the concept - I believe I can make it work with my set-up. Appreciate you sharing!