Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Propane filler stopped

I have a "classic" Sportsmobile, 1987 E150. It has an SMB-installed propane tank for accessories. They may not be the same type of tank now.

The tank has 2 problems:
1. The filler won't fill anymore! I recall adding propane awhile back, and they had "trouble" filling it, but eventually it filled. Don't recall why. But now, took it to 2 different places, and neither could get it to take any propane at all, and it's at like 1/4 tank.

The fill valve's clean, has always been capped. IIRC, there was some sort of overflow vent that had to be opened to let it fill, they'd identified that, but it didn't help. Obviously, if it won't fill, this system is useless.

2. There is an odd, small rubber hose running from one part of the tank to another part of the valve fittings. The hose fitting leaks when you push it the wrong way, but doesn't normally leak. I don't see any way this could be connected to its failure to fill. It doesn't look like the rubber hose itself is leaking, but where it screws onto a nipple coming off the tank. This goes directly into the tank, and thus turning off the valve does not depressurize it. This means it's impossible to replace without emptying the entire tank, but no one knows where to get a replacement or even find a name for it to search around for.

Like I say, this is scary, if the hose cracks and leaks it'll dump the whole tank's contents and turning off the valve won't stop it. Or is that actually like a Schrader valve, where if you remove the hose it'll automatically stop the flow? I certainly wouldn't try to remove the hose from a pressurized tank of propane expecting it to stop.

Oznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #2

Re: Propane filler stopped

I can't help on the hose issue but a good RV shop should be able to address that problem. As to the fill issue, I think that the tank needs to be purged of air. All new tanks need to be purged (even those tanks used with BBQs) and you might have let the tank get too low. A propane seller should know how to purge the tank or you can do it yourself. Check out John Kalmbach's responses to

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1858

Although this post was about problems with a furnace, the main culprit was air in the propane tank.