Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
Scotty, where did you guys source the Propex? I am ready to pull the trigger on the HS2800 for my EB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
She bought it from the Van Cafe in Santa Cruz. There aren't very many dealers in the U.S. surprisingly. Most folks I've heard of get the from Go Westy, but you can find a few dealers and make your choice from the Propex website.

Propex USA • USA Propex Dealers and Distributors

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

Propex

Nice job on the install Eric. Another member on here had his cut out a few times and I believe it ended up being the output vent had been closed/partially closed when either a foot or something hit against it. That may not be what it was but just an FYI to check and make sure the output isn't partially closed.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #13

[QUOTE=86Scotty;167775] Also, I wouldn't recommend running any furnace while the vehicle is running. QUOTE]

Hadn't thought of that, but my combustion air intake and exhaust are right above the exhaust pipe, but the hot air is recirculated within the van, so it shouldn't be an issue. By the way I'm running the Suburban. Another poster mentioned the noise and I can concur, it's a bit of a noisy beast. Other than that and it's being a bit bigger, it works fine within it's BTU limit. Still, I would like more space, quieter operation, a few more BTU's and a lower current draw. On anothet note, I have some experience with Espar diesel heaters as there is one on my boat. It's a D7L though, too big for a van. Still, it's just a bigger version of the smaller ones. It puts out plenty of hot air, but it too is a bit noisy, and parts are expensive. (at least for the D7L) It quit one November just prior to a month long trip from Alaska, and needed a new brain. A new one was just shy of $1K from Seattle. I said no way, and installed a direct vent Toyo diesel heater temporarally vented through a window. The entire heater, and all the parts needed were about $1300.00
Meanwhile, on the trip South I pried open the old brain box and upon close examination of the circuit board I discovered a bad solder joint. A few minutes later, we had two working heaters. Bottom line is that I never use the Espar, the Toyo (too big for a van) has to be one of the best heaters on the planet for bigger areas. It sips fuel, runs silently, uses very little electricity, heats the boat very quickly and has been as reliable as an anvil.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #14

Awesome info AT. I think I should revise, or maybe just reword some of my complaints about my Suburban furnace. My furnace is 21 years old. It is loud, but I am only comparing it to the new furnaces I've had experience with, the Propex here most recently, and an Atwood EverestStar before it, which I bought new. My Suburban puts out heat, which is the goal, but is about 1 foot from my head when I sleep. I think many of my complaints about it may not be totally it's fault. 1. Proximity to me as just stated. 2. Bigger, because older technology. A lot older. 3. Non ducted (Suburban OR Atwood) really limits your install location, which I think is one of the biggest advantages of the Propex. Like I said, I can't fault my Suburban as it keeps me warm, but it's just big and dated. I think most SMBs that aren't diesels have this furnace and it works fine.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
My Suburban puts out heat, which is the goal, but is about 1 foot from my head when I sleep.
Mine too, so I don't run it all night. I just pile on the quilts and turn it on in the AM before getting out of bed. Oh yea, it's ducted so the hot air comes out about the middle of the van while the heater is in the back.
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Don't do it. They're horrible.
Such hate for the Suburban! Mine works fine and warms up the van pretty quick. It is a bit noisy, but it's 'white' noise so doesn't bother me at all. However, mine is buried under cabinets and rear bed platform and the ducts run up front, so maybe quieter than normal.

Would I install another one? Probably not, rather go with an Espar diesel powered unit. But will I replace this one? Not unless it breaks.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Such hate for the Suburban! Mine works fine and warms up the van pretty quick. It is a bit noisy, but it's 'white' noise so doesn't bother me at all. However, mine is buried under cabinets and rear bed platform and the ducts run up front, so maybe quieter than normal.

Would I install another one? Probably not, rather go with an Espar diesel powered unit. But will I replace this one? Not unless it breaks.
Rob, read post 14 two above. I revised my hate a little.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Such hate for the Suburban! .
I don't hate mine at all, I just have diesel heater envy, I'm pretty spoiled by the one on the boat. I don't expect the Suburban to break any time soon though, so I'll just have to live with it.
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
where did you guys source the Propex? I am ready to pull the trigger on the HS2800 for my EB.
Westy Ventures / Propex heaters

The owner's name is Karl.....very knowledgeable about Propex.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Westy Ventures / Propex heaters

The owner's name is Karl.....very knowledgeable about Propex.
Ditto that - that is where I bought my HS2000.

Nice install, Eric!